Thread: Arum says Pacquiao will be fighting on June 9th and it WON’T be against Mayweather Jr

108mob Guest

Default Arum says Pacquiao will be fighting on June 9th and it WON’T be against Mayweather Jr

By Chris Williams: Top Rank CEO Bob Arum has finally once and for all ruled out a fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. for May 5th, telling Sports Illustrated writer Chris Mannix that Pacquiao instead will be fighting on June 9th in an outdoor stadium in Las Vegas against one of the four candidates that Arum has selected for him to fight. Pacquiao is on board with Arum’s decision with him not fighting Mayweather Jr. next.

The reason for not fighting Mayweather Jr. is because it’s not financially a smart move for Pacquiao, says Arum.

The lists of opponents for Pacquiao’s next fight are as such: Timothy Bradley, Miguel Cotto, Lamont Peterson and Juan Manuel Marquez.

These are the names that Arum has wanted to choose from the very start and it looks as if he’s not changed his mind about wanting to see Pacquiao fight one of them next.

Arum wants the Mayweather fight to take place in the 38,000 seat outdoor arena that’s currently being constructed on the Las Vegas, Nevada strip. Arum met with the construction people earlier today to see when the fight outside arena will be completed. Arum said “To be safe, they needed until the end of May to get it done. Economically, it’s a problem that Floyd created. The amount that would be lost by moving it up to May 5th is enormous. The fight is not going to happen on May 5th. We’ll do the fight in November. There is no real magic in doing it in May.”

So there it is. Arum doesn’t want the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight until later on this year in November. His rationale is the bigger revenue that can be pulled in by waiting until that date rather than taking the fight now. The MGM Grand in Las Vegas, which is the venue that Mayweather already has booked for May 5th, fits 16,800 fans. Arum wants an arena that’s twice the size to bring in an additional $30 million.

Arum says that Pacquiao will fight his next fight on June 9th in the new outside arena in Las Vegas and this will be a test of the facility.

As for Mayweather, he’ll now have to look for another opponent to fight on May 5th and will likely be facing WBC junior middleweight champion Saul Alvarez on that date. Miguel Cotto has already been ruled out as a potential opponent for Mayweather on that date by Arum, who said no way is Mayweather getting him. It’s believed that Arum has plans for matching Cotto with one of his other Top Rank fighters WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. for later on in 2012.

What kind of gets you about Arum is that he’s assuming that just because he says the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight will take place in November that Mayweather will fall in line and take the fight like he’s someone needy. It gives the impression that Arum is calling the shots and that Mayweather is just another one of Pacquiao’s challengers instead of someone that brings in equal if not more revenue to a fight. Who knows? Perhaps Arum is doing it this way because he doesn’t even want the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight even in November. But by just saying that he’ll do the fight in November it comes across like he’s the one in charge and Mayweather will have to accept what he can get. I don’t know about you but I’d say forget it. If you don’t want the fight now, get lost.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,063x in 2,101 Posts
    Items A BeerNASCARYing & yangWhiskey
Gift received at 01-26-2014, 01:29 AM from KIDWCKED

Remember the hit song from the 60s, "You belong to ME". That's what this is all about, Pacman belongs to Arum and Roach, he will not let PBF beat his butt, not now, he wants to make lots of money and die...........................
    I have doubts about this............ will get more info....
    As for Mayweather, he’ll now have to look for another opponent to fight on May 5th and will likely be facing WBC junior middleweight champion Saul Alvarez on that date. Miguel Cotto has already been ruled out as a potential opponent for Mayweather on that date by Arum, who said no way is Mayweather getting him. It’s believed that Arum has plans for matching Cotto with one of his other Top Rank fighters WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. for later on in 2012.
    Last edited by Fibroso; 01-19-2012 at 12:47 PM.

The Cobra Guest

Arum is counting on Pac-PBF money will always be there... so he`s picking up all the loose change he can on the way all the while praying "his guy" doesn`t lose. Would it matter if either of them loses on the way??? I doubt it---if they were to fight even after a loss for either it still would be a promoted blockbuster. Once again who ever promotes this fight and the others wins = Arum.

cisco2025 Guest

Fans want to see Mayweather!

rudee Guest

See guys? this is exactly why i do not input on this thread anymore.... its pure b.s. with manny and floyd... believe me.. if Manny wanted to fight Floyd,,,
    Arum would o.k. it.... Manny pays him.. would buy him out. Arum would go for it in a minute... Manny his cash cow.
    These two guys want nothing to do with each other.... would be a big BLACK MARK on the loser of the fight...
    Its NOT the money.. Floyd lights cigars with $100 bills... Manny lives in the Philipines.. a dollar goes a LONG way there.
    Contrary to our past opinions... Manny is NOT going to retire anytime soon... he will milk the cow til its dry.. why not? noone out there.. cept
    Floyd.. and they avoid each other like i avoid the Grim Reaper.
    Don't be fooled by these two jokers... they are making us get upset at each other,, while they b.s. their way to the bank with inferior
    opponents.
    Most you guys are old like me and have been following this game for decades... name me 2 champs that avoided each other like this!!!
    Most fought each other 2 or more times....
    Enough said!!!!!!

Condor is offline Jr Admin/Satfix 2016 Football Pool - Week 10 & Week 15 Champ
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,837x in 5,629 Posts
    Items Mexico
Gift received at 04-01-2014, 11:29 PM from hedley
Gift received at 06-11-2013, 04:36 PM from darlinkat
HugsUSA
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 03:37 PM from ICEMAN
Gift received at 10-02-2012, 02:00 PM from ICEMAN
Gift received at 09-29-2012, 11:31 PM from clarkBENT

Quote Originally Posted by rudee View Post
    See guys? this is exactly why i do not input on this thread anymore.... its pure b.s. with manny and floyd... believe me.. if Manny wanted to fight Floyd,,,
    Arum would o.k. it.... Manny pays him.. would buy him out. Arum would go for it in a minute... Manny his cash cow.
    These two guys want nothing to do with each other.... would be a big BLACK MARK on the loser of the fight...
    Its NOT the money.. Floyd lights cigars with $100 bills... Manny lives in the Philipines.. a dollar goes a LONG way there.
    Contrary to our past opinions... Manny is NOT going to retire anytime soon... he will milk the cow til its dry.. why not? noone out there.. cept
    Floyd.. and they avoid each other like i avoid the Grim Reaper.
    Don't be fooled by these two jokers... they are making us get upset at each other,, while they b.s. their way to the bank with inferior
    opponents.
    Most you guys are old like me and have been following this game for decades... name me 2 champs that avoided each other like this!!!
    Most fought each other 2 or more times....
    Enough said!!!!!!
    yeah Rudee...But That cash is 1/2 full now.. How long do they both have left???.. Watch one of the up and coming youngsters whoop the &(^%&^%&(^%^(&^ it out either one one of these day...lol.....

The only thing I am afraid of is what I am capable of