Thread: What's the best new TRUE FTA receiver? Advice?

thisad77 Guest

Default What's the best new TRUE FTA receiver? Advice?

I am using a couple of CNX's that I have coverted and use PD subscription. Looking for a new box that I do not have to get a paid subscription for. Any advice as to which box is been steadily up? I do not need HD or any bells or whistles. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 69x in 43 Posts
    Items Rose
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM from ICEMAN

For true FTA, you definitely want an HD box... It's hard to beat the price/performance of the Openbox S9 or S10, it has a great blind scan and will also do DVB-S2. Those two features are a must... You will use the blind scan to find new feeds, and many channels are using DVB-S2 nowadays to save bandwidth.

If you want to spend a little more, the AZbox is another good choice, it does DVB-S2 as well as 4:2:2, however the blind scan is a little slower, but still acceptable.

Do you have the right equipment to receive true FTA? You'll need a 36" or larger dish with a standard linear LNB and a motor would be a very good idea too.
    Satellite Equipment:
    10' Orbitron, Openbox S9, General Instrument 920
    Shaw subscription, HDPVR630, 2x HDDSR600,
    1m Channel Master (125w), Coolsat 8000

OTA Equipment:
    Unknown model VHF/UHF combo antenna, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Channel Master rotator, 35' Rohn 20G tower

Condor is offline Jr Admin/Satfix 2016 Football Pool - Week 10 & Week 15 Champ
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,837x in 5,629 Posts
    Items Mexico
Gift received at 04-01-2014, 11:29 PM from hedley
Gift received at 06-11-2013, 04:36 PM from darlinkat
HugsUSA
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 03:37 PM from ICEMAN
Gift received at 10-02-2012, 02:00 PM from ICEMAN
Gift received at 09-29-2012, 11:31 PM from clarkBENT

Non HD........... Coolsats..Either 5K or 6K............

The only thing I am afraid of is what I am capable of

tuberadio Guest

Ive had a few receivers I use just for legit FTA. For SD I really like the Coolsat 6000, it has lasted me a long time now and its my point box. I upgraded to the Openbox S9... did some work on my 6' WSI Special, put a WSI 741 LNBF on it for C/Ku reception and I wont turn back. The Openbox pulls in a bit of DVB-S2 stuff but not all on the 6' and almost all DVB-S stuff on C-Band.... The Azbox stuff looks great but I have heard some not so great stuff about them, but at the same time Ive heard the same about the Openbox. For what I do, it works great!

sideswiper Guest

For DVB-S2 feeds you would want a 10 foot Bud or bigger dish to pull the feeds in i use my Techno Trend TT3200 PCI card for DVB-S2 feeds and it does 4.2.2 too
    Last edited by sideswiper; 01-11-2012 at 06:51 PM.

kwalsh24 Guest

I am in the same boat as thisad77, looking to explore the FTA world. I dont want to spend a ton (under150cdn) and I ahve a few options I have researched on but really my research isnt getting me anywhere. I have looked a tthe openbox s10, the nfusion hd (8psk installed(, skybox s12 and the sonicview 8000hd(8psk installed). I just really dont know if I am on the correct path in getting a decent hd fta receiver or not and was hoping that responding to this posting wont get me flammed for starting a similar post. Would there be anything else other than the receiver and dish required to get up and running?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 585x in 169 Posts
    Items Monitor
Gift received at 10-03-2012, 01:15 PM from ICEMAN

Quote Originally Posted by kwalsh24 View Post
    I am in the same boat as thisad77, looking to explore the FTA world. I dont want to spend a ton (under150cdn) and I ahve a few options I have researched on but really my research isnt getting me anywhere. I have looked a tthe openbox s10, the nfusion hd (8psk installed(, skybox s12 and the sonicview 8000hd(8psk installed). I just really dont know if I am on the correct path in getting a decent hd fta receiver or not and was hoping that responding to this posting wont get me flammed for starting a similar post. Would there be anything else other than the receiver and dish required to get up and running?
    For True FTA stick with the Openbox or Skybox. You want to be able to blind scan DVB-S2...NFHD & SV8000 cant do that...

One more thing, the bigger the dish the better. If you can find a 10' or bigger C Band dish grab it!
    Toys include:
    1. 36” Motorized GeoSat w/DMX522
    1. 48” Motorized ASC Signal DMX522
    1. 10' Unimesh 18” actuator DMX741
    1. 10' Unimesh 18” actuator DMX741U
    1. 10' (no name solid) used as a solar collector

kwalsh24 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by augoldfinger View Post
    For True FTA stick with the Openbox or Skybox. You want to be able to blind scan DVB-S2...NFHD & SV8000 cant do that...

One more thing, the bigger the dish the better. If you can find a 10' or bigger C Band dish grab it!
    I have one of those in my back yard haha

Now this likely will cross the lines with the TFTA however what if I did want to also hook into a PS in the future? I should note I am in canada so this may change what receivers are open for my pickings

Thanks for your response!

kwalsh24 Guest

I have a captiveworks 800s how good of a receiver was this unit for a NONHD unit? Its missing the USB dongle thom i paid $20 for it just to mess round with, would it be worth getting the USB dongle for it?

swingbozo Guest

I'd spring for the azbox, but what I'm currently running is the much ignored pansat 9200 with the new dvb-s2 blind scanning module. I'm happy as a clam in mud with the panny, but I mainly watch 125w and the pbs feeds. Even though the panny is a fine box, I'd azbox, openbox, then panny if I had to put them on a list. I'm just terribly lazy and got the panny running before the other two jumped onto the scene.

Oh ya, running a 36" ku dish, no BUD nonsense unfortunately! I'd BUD in a minute if "the other one" would put up with one of those things in our yard.
    Last edited by swingbozo; 04-29-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 585x in 169 Posts
    Items Monitor
Gift received at 10-03-2012, 01:15 PM from ICEMAN

Quote Originally Posted by kwalsh24 View Post
    I have one of those in my back yard haha

Now this likely will cross the lines with the TFTA however what if I did want to also hook into a PS in the future? I should note I am in canada so this may change what receivers are open for my pickings

Thanks for your response!
    If you use the C Band dish for FTA, you will need a different dish & receiver for a P$.
    The LNBF on a C Band is either C Band only or a dual C Band & Linear Ku, not Circular Ku.

On a side note if you get a receiver like a DSR410, 900, 920, you can subscribe to C Band programming. The rates are comparable to some P$...You wont get all the channels, but no one will ever come knocking on your door.
    Toys include:
    1. 36” Motorized GeoSat w/DMX522
    1. 48” Motorized ASC Signal DMX522
    1. 10' Unimesh 18” actuator DMX741
    1. 10' Unimesh 18” actuator DMX741U
    1. 10' (no name solid) used as a solar collector

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,257x in 7,929 Posts
    Items GreeceCanada

I have been scanning sats for many years now and in that time I have tested about 30 receivers. For true fta sd nothing beats a coolsat, pansat or fortec receiver. Times have changed and many channels are hd so a receiver which opens s2/8psk is important. Of the 6 hd receivers I have tested, nothing tops an:

Optibox Anaconda

for tuner sensitivity and real user friendly. It's a linux receiver so it's almost like a media center. My azbox should be mentioned as well as it's also up there but a bit pricier. If $$ are the major concern, skybox s12 at about $70 is your best bet.

midhawk Guest

The OpenBox S9 is one of the best for true FTA if you want HD, and the price is right, but it will not support IKS. I've got a 36" dish which I use to pick up the HD PBS stations @ AMC21 (125) as listed on Lyngsat. Being in Canada will not limit your selection of boxes - there's lots of Canadian suppliers. There are 3 in Vancouver that I have used. Just google FTA Vancouver.

Mapleleaf69 Guest

openbox s9 all the way my friend, you wont be disappointed at all. probably the best box hands down ive ever had.