Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OTA Antenna

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,036x in 1,728 Posts

Default OTA Antenna

Here's the situation: my ex wants to install an OTA antenna with a rotor in her large attic. The nearest Tv transmitting stations are from 70 to 100+ miles away. Also she has an old analog TV and I wonder if I can use a DN receiver or an fta box as an anolog to digital converter. She has one picked out for around $70 that claims it will pick up stations from 100 miles away and she does sit on a hill (highest spot in town). I know nothing of this VHF high, VHF low or UHF and nothing about db gain. And ofcourse she wants me to install it lol. Any suggestions?

PS She wants to be able to run 3 TVs from the antenna.
    You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,519x in 1,668 Posts
    Items Crown Royal
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 11:26 AM from ICEMAN
Gift received at 06-28-2012, 10:18 PM from clarkBENT

I cant help you with the distance issue but the only fta receivers you can use to convert to digital are hd units with the astc tuner .No issues running 3 tvs here with my antenna
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for everything and the years of fun and friendship!!

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Thanks Tor, what about a DN receiver for the conversion? It has a coax hook up in the back for an OTA antenna.
    You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,077x in 1,531 Posts
    Items USACokeFriesTVDishBurgerBox of crappoison

I've got one of those converter boxes that the gov. was giving out coupons for a while back hooked up to my old antenna that works real good. I live out in the sticks and have a city type antenna with out the motor and still get a real good signal. I would get my motor going again if I could find my box that works the motor.

Night Prowler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
    Thanks Tor, what about a DN receiver for the conversion? It has a coax hook up in the back for an OTA antenna.
    that might be just a pass through......need to have the digital tuner in it.....try googling the receiver for the specs?

daryl1964 Guest

Try to get a good amplifier, I am only half the distance away that you are and am only hooked up to two tv's, but I do not have clear view of the tower, but I still receive loads of hd and analog channels using a splitter and amp.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

The roof and shingles will attenuate the signal quite a bit, (the UHF channels especially) if she can get a good signal with a set top antenna and goes with a big one up in the attic then she should be OK, TVfool.com should tell what is around and how strong it will be at her location.

Some of the newer DN receivers need an add on TV receiver to get the locals, my VIP 722 has an ATSC input, but the newer ones need the extra module.

They will have to be able to receive ATSC signals, check on Dishes web site for info on her receivers.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

And a good distribution amp will help out quite a bit.

"If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 585x in 169 Posts
    Items Monitor
Gift received at 10-03-2012, 01:15 PM from ICEMAN

70 - 100 miles away for an attic mount is quite a distance, as I'm sure you are aware. It's going to be a challenge to find a small powerful antenna. The last antenna I bought was from Solidsignal. They seem more interested in getting me the right equipment then making a sale...I got the impression they wanted me back as a customer, which when I bought my amp, I went knocking on their door again so to speak.
    Toys include:
    1. 36” Motorized GeoSat w/DMX522
    1. 48” Motorized ASC Signal DMX522
    1. 10' Unimesh 18” actuator DMX741
    1. 10' Unimesh 18” actuator DMX741U
    1. 10' (no name solid) used as a solar collector

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

So from what I gather so far she would be better off with the antenna on top of the roof and an amp may be requried. Terryl I'm not sure what you mean by a set top antenna in addition to the attic mount. I will do some digging on the DN boxes to find out about the tuner, I must have about 6 of them lying around, thanks all.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Well if she is up on a hill then 75 to 100 miles is not that far for a good antenna, what I ment about the set top antenna is if she gets anything at all with one of those hummers then she wont have any problems with the antenna in the attic, but....If she can mount it outside it will be oh so very much better.

Most of the time its the curvature of the Earth that limits the reception, the higher the antenna the better and further you can go from the transmitters, look on TVfool.com and enter her address and how high the antenna will be (or house elevation) it will help with what she would need.

"Can you HIDE it"?

Pollypurabred Guest

Just remember the further away from an antenna, the more noise you will amplify. So if an amp is needed, position it as close to source as possible but you may be okay as you are on a hill. Appears a trial -N-error may be the best resort: power to amp, heat in attic; me I'd be pissed if your over my ....nevermind.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pollypurabred View Post
    Just remember the further away from an antenna, the more noise you will amplify. So if an amp is needed, position it as close to source as possible but you may be okay as you are on a hill. Appears a trial -N-error may be the best resort: power to amp, heat in attic; me I'd be pissed if your over my ....nevermind.
    Nevermind what lol? Anyway, I checked tvfool and it didn't look good for reception from her address plus I didn't understand most of it....

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

You can PM me her general address and I will take a look see.

"Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Done, thanks Terryl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast