Thread: True FTA newbie needs help!

stellercrys Guest

Default True FTA newbie needs help!

Hi everyone, please bare with me as I am new to the TRUE fta side of this.
    We have a regular 18X24 eliptical dish with quad LNB's (only 3 lnb's hooked up currently).
    We were using this to catch 91, 110 and 119.

Now that our Nano2 receiver is no longer supported by public server, I'm looking for True FTA options. (we're not comfy with paid/private servers).

Are we able to get any true fta channels with this setup? (located in BC, Canada)
    (looking for programming that the family can watch, childrens programs, history, local news, stuff like that)

Thanks!

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 585x in 169 Posts
    Items Monitor
Gift received at 10-03-2012, 01:15 PM from ICEMAN

Quote Originally Posted by stellercrys View Post
    Hi everyone, please bare with me as I am new to the TRUE fta side of this.
    We have a regular 18X24 eliptical dish with quad LNB's (only 3 lnb's hooked up currently).
    We were using this to catch 91, 110 and 119.

Now that our Nano2 receiver is no longer supported by public server, I'm looking for True FTA options. (we're not comfy with paid/private servers).

Are we able to get any true fta channels with this setup? (located in BC, Canada)
    (looking for programming that the family can watch, childrens programs, history, local news, stuff like that)

Thanks!
    There will be very few channels you can get with that size dish. Honestly you should start with at least a 36" motorized round & linear LNBF. yours now are probably all circular LNBF's

I have two dishes I maily use. A 10' C/Ku & a 36" motorized Ku. Really the best programming IMO on Ku is on 83, 101, 125.
    Your Nano will be a very poor choice for FTA, I probably wouldn't bother with it.

To me FTA is the way to go it's 100% free & legal & there is 1000's of FTA channels

Why not check out the Openbox S9 receiver & if you have the room look for a BUD (Big Ugly Dish) that will probably give you 1000+ channels. For locals I use a Channel Master 3020 Antenna.

A BUD will be cheaper then a motorized round & give you more channels. But hey if you want to try out your dish get a linear LNBF & point it at 97 & see what you get. There are 200+ channels on that sat a lone
    Toys include:
    1. 36” Motorized GeoSat w/DMX522
    1. 48” Motorized ASC Signal DMX522
    1. 10' Unimesh 18” actuator DMX741
    1. 10' Unimesh 18” actuator DMX741U
    1. 10' (no name solid) used as a solar collector

stellercrys Guest

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll just have to watch programs online for now.
    We're not looking to buy new equip/receivers just thought I'd see if we could get anything with our current setup, since something would have been better than nothing.
    Oh well, thanks for the info.

jvvh5897 Guest

Linear LNBs can be had for under $20US (see ads here or try satpro FLorida site to see what can be had ). You can get some stuff with the dish you have, but bigger would be better. I've seen receiver/dish package (think it was 30 inch or so, not great size for BC) for $100US at site in Boston (reciever was a blind scan evolution XO-01 which is not great but for the price not all that bad)

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by stellercrys View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'll just have to watch programs online for now.
    We're not looking to buy new equip/receivers just thought I'd see if we could get anything with our current setup, since something would have been better than nothing.
    Oh well, thanks for the info.
    Don't give up just yet buddy,
    A lot of BUD's can be had for free. You may not want to invest in anything right now, but if you could get a free dish that would be worth it, & would be a great start.
    Toys include:

catthepatch Guest

You could also repoint your current dish to pick up 61.5. There are open Tp's on that sat often and will require no further investment. Just a suggestion!

Happy Testing!!!

jvvh5897 Guest

And we could always talk about DIY dishes. C band is dishes have looser tolerances than Ku so they are a little easier to build even if they have to be bigger.

dominka Guest

I would also have a question, I have an old 8 ft mesh dish which I have not used in the last 10 years. Would it be worth it to get it work again. Do new FTA receiver work with C and ku analog and digital signals.
    Thank you for any comment.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by dominka View Post
    I would also have a question, I have an old 8 ft mesh dish which I have not used in the last 10 years. Would it be worth it to get it work again. Do new FTA receiver work with C and ku analog and digital signals.
    Thank you for any comment.
    Your dish would work fine for C band, & venture to say if you have a C/KU LNB your dish will also work for KU, but it is a little small for HD broadcasts. You will need a new LNBF, & maybe a new FTA receiver. Most of the "new" receivers are "hack" boxes & are very poor for True FTA.

If you have anymore questions that's great! Post them here & we will move them to a new thread for you. This thread is really stellercrys, the original poster.
    Toys include:

jvvh5897 Guest

I would disagree that new boxes are poor for FTA, but older boxes can be had for very little on ebay (or equiv), and the s9 box is pretty cheap new if you are going for HD (I still haven't but starting to think about it).

I'm still playing with ideas about a cheap way to build dishes if there is interest in that.