Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southern Fried Frog Legs

justeric1agn Guest

Default Southern Fried Frog Legs

Southern Fried Frog Legs

Fried Frog Legs

Even in the south, folks are lifting their eyebrows when they hear that we’ve been frying up frog legs. My boys told a couple of their buddies. One of the boys said, “Oh man. That’s as bad as my Grandma making chit’lins.” I packed up a couple of frog legs and sent them with my boys when the fellows got together to play ball. That’s one sure way to make believers out of frog leg naysayers.

It was actually my youngest son’s idea to have frog legs. He saw them at the bait shop – of all places. I thought he was kidding about wanting to get some. When he asked the second time, I decided he was on the level.

My relatives used to frog gig, and my Grandma would fry up the legs. Yum. That was some good eating.
    Some folks say that frog legs taste like chicken. Of course, folks say anything new tastes like chicken. Frog legs don’t really taste like chicken. The meat is lighter and more delicate. Chicken is like the round steak while frog legs are the rib eye.

I see lots of fancy recipes for frog legs, but I prefer to use a very basic breading. It’s a real shame to buy frog legs and then cover up the taste of the delicious meat. I just use flour, salt and pepper. It’s also fine to dip the legs in egg and coating. Really, any fried chicken recipe is OK.

Frog legs generally come in pairs with the legs hooked at the top. They look like little britches. It’s best to cut them and make two little frog leg drumettes, because they’re easier to cook when separated.

After the frog legs are cut into separate pieces, put them in a brown paper bag with a cup of plain flour, a tsp of salt and a tsp of pepper. This is enough to make 8 to 10 little frog leg drums. Just add if you’re cooking a lot..

Put the bag in the refrigerator for 20 minutes of so. This makes the breading stick. The brown paper bag absorbs some moisture, and this method is the best I’ve found for breading fried foods. It’s fine for vegetables as well as frog legs.

Heat a thin layer of oil in a frying pan (around a half inch of oil) to 350 degrees F. I like to use a long electric skillet, so I can cook all the legs at once. They can also be done in batches.

Brown the legs on one side. Do not turn them too soon, or the batter will fall off and stick. You can see around the edges when the browning is right. Then, flip them over and brown the under side.

It doesn’t take long to fry frog legs. They are smaller than chicken legs and the meat is softer. I’d estimate that it takes about half as long to fry up frog legs. That’s nice too.

As the frog legs are done, place them on a plate covered with paper towels. This absorbs any excess oil.
    You can serve frog legs with various sauces, but again I think they are so tasty that it’s a real shame to do anything that masks the taste of the meat.

Don’t let the idea of eating frog legs put you off. They live in water and are definitely cleaner than chickens. But, hey I love chicken too. I just don’t rule out frog legs, because folks say, “Oh gross.” The only folks who get gaggy about frog legs are those who have never had any home fried.

I don’t recommend ordering frog legs at restaurants. They are heavily breaded and don’t taste great. You really just taste bread. Restaurant frog legs are like eating frozen fish sticks and then thinking you’ve had real fish.

wattso99 Guest

Taste like chicken

hayman Guest

nothing better than a feed of bullfrog legs

justeric1agn Guest

find out tonight bought 2 pounds of them at a piggly wiggly yesterday. don't tell my daughter we are going to tell her its chicken.lol

The Cobra Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wattso99 View Post
    Taste like chicken
    took the words right out of my mouth LOL---------------had them many times down south while playing ball---tastes best fried with a little crumble but be ready, they are kinda greasy. Good stuff----but you`ll get tired "pickin" before you get full. LOL

justeric1agn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
    took the words right out of my mouth LOL---------------had them many times down south while playing ball---tastes best fried with a little crumble but be ready, they are kinda greasy. Good stuff----but you`ll get tired "pickin" before you get full. LOL
    ok side order of grilled steak.lol nice day to grill out too.lol thanks fur the warning.

The Cobra Guest

Quote Originally Posted by justeric1agn View Post
    ok side order of grilled steak.lol nice day to grill out too.lol thanks fur the warning.
    try putting a couple paper towels over and under the legs when you take them out of the frying pan/deep fryer.

KIDWCKED is offline Visiting Dignitary/Satfix 2021 NFL week 1 Champ
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,425x in 4,579 Posts
    Items Some beerMartini
Gift received at 04-01-2014, 12:27 AM from hedley
Gift received at 11-13-2013, 11:18 PM from thebeav
Gift received at 12-17-2012, 07:15 AM from ICEMAN

I'm not sure about eating legs of frogs..I suppose i would try them after a few brews.And definately with hot sauce just to see how it goes!!Cheers..
    [KIDWICKED]..;/

here4fun Guest

Bullfrogs have become a real problem here. They are an introduced species and are spreading like crazy and taking over. I've even had the younger ones migrate from a large natural pond into my little ornamental pond. The government is looking for ways to get rid of them...maybe we should be eating them...lol

The Cobra Guest

Quote Originally Posted by here4fun View Post

Bullfrogs have become a real problem here. They are an introduced species and are spreading like crazy and taking over. I've even had the younger ones migrate from a large natural pond into my little ornamental pond. The government is looking for ways to get rid of them...maybe we should be eating them...lol
    This is kinda gross and cruel but I ask you to remember when we did this we were stupid kids---and boys trying to outdo each other to boot.-----------We used to put canon crackers in their mouths when we went to our cottage in Northern Ontario.

KIDWCKED is offline Visiting Dignitary/Satfix 2021 NFL week 1 Champ
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,425x in 4,579 Posts
    Items Some beerMartini
Gift received at 04-01-2014, 12:27 AM from hedley
Gift received at 11-13-2013, 11:18 PM from thebeav
Gift received at 12-17-2012, 07:15 AM from ICEMAN

Quote Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
    This is kinda gross and cruel but I ask you to remember when we did this we were stupid kids---and boys trying to outdo each other to boot.-----------We used to put canon crackers in their mouths when we went to our cottage in Northern Ontario.
    So then you ate there legs afterwards???Bwahahaha
    [KIDWICKED]..;/

The Cobra Guest

Quote Originally Posted by toddr1 View Post
    So then you ate there legs afterwards???Bwahahaha
    LMAO------you`d have to find them first.

justeric1agn Guest

lmao ok i feel bad but hungry.lolfrance_frog_wheelchair_31.jpg

justeric1agn Guest

can i just lick live ones.lol no that would make it worse.munchies.lol

justeric1agn Guest

god those were good. try them you'll like them what good food. i messed up the steaks but man those frog legs were good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast