Thread: "The Natural" ponders returning to the cage and gives his take on a potential dream m

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,744x in 641 Posts

Default "The Natural" ponders returning to the cage and gives his take on a potential dream m

Several years ago, Randy Couture and Fedor Emelianenko were considered (and still are) to be two of the greatest mixed martial artists (MMA) in the history of the sport. Age catches up to everybody, and both announced their retirements from the fight game in 2011 and 2012, respectively.

But now that "The Last Emperor" announced that he is making a return to MMA after a three-year hiatus, it appears the aforementioned superfight could still go down.

"The Natural," who turned 52 in June, heard of the news and may have the itch to step into the cage one more time.

"Obviously I think it's a fight that in our heyday would have been an amazing fight and a crossover fight for that time," Couture told SI Now. "Whether or not I'd be willing to step out there now at 52 years old and come back out of retirement after four years of working on all the other stuff in my life, I don't know."

After defeating Tim Sylvia and Gabriel Gonzaga to win and then defend the UFC Heavyweight title in 2007, Couture planned to clash with Fedor, following the latter's decimation of foes in Pride, in the short-lived Affliction promotion. That did not happen, though, we did get this commercial shoot.

Fedor retired at the age of 35 on a string of decisive victories over MMA veterans Jeff Monson, Satoshi Ishii and Pedro Rizzo. Interestingly enough, previous foes that felt the wrath of the revered Russian, like Mark Hunt and Andrei Arlovski, have seen their stock increase with nostalgic performances.

Couture, who is employed by Bellator presently and has done commentary work and coached Fight Master: Bellator MMA, admits to thoughts of a return every time he witnesses the action cageside. For now, the former two-division UFC champion will not close the book on a potential comeback, but he is realistic.

"I think anytime you sit cageside and watch fights you can't help but get antsy," said Couture. "You want to train or do something, but I'm pretty comfortable with the decision I made four years ago. I think I got out at the right time. Right time for me. I've been very happy and very busy."

While the Greco-Roman wrestling standout drudges on in his post-fight career, filming movies and working under Bellator CEO Scott Coker, Fedor is busy "negotiating" with MMA organizations.

Coker and company seem to have the inside track based upon both sides previously working together under the Strikeforce banner. However, World Series of Fighting, (via MMA Fighting), has the "money."

Could UFC make a play?

Make sure you stick with MMAmania as more news becomes available regarding the return of "The Last Emperor."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please do not PM Me with questions
    Post them in the forums so others may learn and benefit from your experience.