Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Kodi Box

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 779x in 342 Posts

A PC's is large and its power pack is noisy and you still need a wireless remote. You can bye a stb box for the price of a cheap video card. These little boxes are loaded with power and have everything the PC does at your finger tips. Myself I like the Carbon 8 or newer line of boxes after having mygica, mxII, jynx, mega and mega 268 products in the past.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Hanky For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,196x in 2,659 Posts
    Items Whiskey
Gift received at 12-12-2013, 01:32 AM from swanner
Cheers Mate...
swannerCrown Royal
Gift received at 06-27-2013, 10:55 PM from Anubis
Message: If you're having some ryes I figure I'd contribute.Trophy 3
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 12:02 PM from ICEMAN

if you have a PC with a noisy fan you either have a problem with the power supply or a cheaply made case prone to vibration. I bought a used laptop with 8 GB of RAM, quad core processor and HDMI out and use it in the living room. You can't hear that running either. Added a wireless mouse and good to go

Spoon Feeders FEED Bottom Feeders

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nostradamus For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 25x in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nostradamus View Post
    if you have a PC with a noisy fan you either have a problem with the power supply or a cheaply made case prone to vibration. I bought a used laptop with 8 GB of RAM, quad core processor and HDMI out and use it in the living room. You can't hear that running either. Added a wireless mouse and good to go
    Absolutely something wrong there! The Z3735F processor is fan-less as it is designed for use in a windows tablet. Did I mention he HD output is 4K for an awesome picture even though you can't stream 4k yet.. I added the Tronsmart wireless keyboard/mouse for $17.00 but wireless mouse is also a good way to go.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Digital Dog For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 779x in 342 Posts

Yupe $2000 cheap. Its the fan air movement you hear from the power pack, processor fan and 200 dollar video card fan, not vibration .Still cheaper to by an android all day.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Whiskey
Cheers Mate...
swannerCrown Royal

you don't need a $2000 PC to run Kodi. I paid $160 for a used laptop and in addition to running Kodi I can do whatever I want on the web with it as well. I added a wireless keyboard and mouse that cost $22 at Wallyworld just for the sake of convenience to do be able to check email without having to pull the laptop off the entertainment center. It runs Kodi every bit as well as my PC.

yes my PC cost about $2500 to build 3 years ago. I built it mainly for video & graphic editing. It has three 4" fans plus the power supply, CPU fan, and Video card fan all running. It is sitting 2 feet from me with the side off, because I was switching hard drives around and you can not hear it running. In fact, to hear it operating at all you have to be within 1 foot of it. Quality parts! Sure if you are going to buy a $200 PC from a big name store you are going to get junk but even those do no make that much noise. You shouldn't hear a PC running from 5 feet away in a quiet room. If you do there is something wrong with the thing. Even with variable speed fans that rev up when more heat is present.

A computer running Kodi should not require the fan running extra fast to compensate for internal heat as it is not a complicated program requiring a lot of resources or it would not run on those little android / linux set top boxes to begin with. In fact on many it doesn't run well as it is. Too many android apps running in the background, cache full, freezing and buffering. Any buffering seen running on a PC and it is the fault of the server or the users internet speed. The other problems do not exist.

So for those running android boxes now and not satisfied with the quality just try it on your laptop or PC and compare it. See if all the same issues exist

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nostradamus For This Useful Post:

c8rbk1ng is offline VIP, Satfix 2014 NFL Pool Week #5 & week # 15 Champion
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,089x in 1,142 Posts
    Items Crab
Gift received at 08-08-2015, 07:53 PM from gAsH
Message: I tried 15x in a row with different people and lost every time! :lol: 

Here is a gift for the crabby old man :tehe: You spelled your name wrong, should be Cr8bk1ng :PWireless AccessPopcornGuitar2JeepCamaroFootball

So for those running android boxes now and not satisfied with the quality just try it on your laptop or PC and compare it. See if all the same issues exist
    It's funny but Kodi runs better (and easier) on my Fire TV than on my computer

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to c8rbk1ng For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Whiskey
Cheers Mate...
swannerCrown Royal

well I never compared it with that unit since I have never seen one but I have used 5 different android or linux boxes here and I seen how they all perform. The linux unit worked better than any android unit and even that was satisfactory at best. Perhaps there is something wrong with your computer or it is really old. Even an old duo-core processor should easily blow any of the android units away.

I really don't care, people can use what they want. I am simply answering the OP question of what unit is best to run Kodi on. Free TVers want to call themselves testers. Well here is an opportunity to test it out by running a few comparison tests. That is of course the person has the smarts to install and configure Kodi, or, you can doit the easy way and install the TVMC for Windows version with everything pre-configured and experiment.

the problem is Kodi (formerly known as XBMC) is quite new for most people and so is Android other than in their phone. The PC is a great way to get your feet wet as well. To see what works, what works well, etc. Then if they want to buy an android box get the unit with the best specs they can. Don't ask for opinions because you get a lot of fanboy feedback but read what other people are already saying about the unit. just like buying a car or any thing else. don't rely on a salesman advice or a fleabay sale to make the decision

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nostradamus For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 16x in 9 Posts

I run Kodi with a HTPC I built a few years ago and it runs Kodi good. My parents got an android box and again it runs it fine I believe it is a MX3 quad core. They are very happy with it and I wouldn't put down the android boxes, they are reasonably priced compared to a HTPC or laptops. So if you are just wanting something to run Kodi I personally would go with an android box with at least a quad core they are more then reasonable to run kodi. Think of the power savings as well running an android box to a PC, no noise from them either.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Homer Jay For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Whiskey
Cheers Mate...
swannerCrown Royal

I agree Homer, if a person insists on using an android box a quad core is a must and then get rid of all the useless apps that come packaged with it. Anybody using one will soon get tired of entering data with a mouse and on screen keyboard and want to upgrade that to something more familiar like a wireless keyboard and mouse / touchpad. Also to function as a true media player the android unit will need an external hard drive as well to store video, audio, & pictures. A computer already has those options built in. What made a HTPC more expensive was the video card required and most people added either / or a sat tuner and OTA tuner. Well the price on video cards required has dropped drastically and android can not do either sat or OTA. basically any computer that has HDMI out will suffice

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nostradamus For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,949x in 826 Posts

Just finished setting up my old gateway mid tower 5yrs old. Got KODI 15 on it and using WMC with 40 OTA channels as the back end TV.
    Have a 15 day guide for 70% of the channels as well.

Using a MC remote I had laying around and all the buttons work.

The tuner is a Hauppauge Wintv-HVR-955Q.

PVR and recordings work great, set a timer and put the machine into suspend mode to save power and it starts the TV server when it wants to record.

Also have an old Captive Works 4000 with an internal Skywalker one tuned to 5 sats.
    Running Media Portal as a back end integrated into Kodi 14.2.

Untill they either burn up or get hit with lightning I will never have to buy a unit again. If things need to be changed I will just rebuild the sofware and start over again.

HAHA on my last trip to the DR I had Kodi on a Netbook and connected to the TV and streamed movies.

I have everything from the Jynxbox Androids and Linux to a Matricon Gbox, Matricon Q and an Excalibur I have been testing over the last few months and they work fine. The last three are good machines.

BUT they will never replace my HTPC units for the flexibility I have with running anything I want.
    Even using a chat during commercial breaks, LOL

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benney For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 51x in 26 Posts

well I never compared it with that unit since I have never seen one but I have used 5 different android or linux boxes here and I seen how they all perform. The linux unit worked better than any android unit and even that was satisfactory at best. Perhaps there is something wrong with your computer or it is really old. Even an old duo-core processor should easily blow any of the android units away.

I really don't care, people can use what they want. I am simply answering the OP question of what unit is best to run Kodi on. Free TVers want to call themselves testers. Well here is an opportunity to test it out by running a few comparison tests. That is of course the person has the smarts to install and configure Kodi, or, you can doit the easy way and install the TVMC for Windows version with everything pre-configured and experiment.

the problem is Kodi (formerly known as XBMC) is quite new for most people and so is Android other than in their phone. The PC is a great way to get your feet wet as well. To see what works, what works well, etc. Then if they want to buy an android box get the unit with the best specs they can. Don't ask for opinions because you get a lot of fanboy feedback but read what other people are already saying about the unit. just like buying a car or any thing else. don't rely on a salesman advice or a fleabay sale to make the decision
    What system of windows are you running?....all extensions (or start up items on) what processor? (I 3,I 5 ?)
    will it run a 60" led tv at 1080 with no problems or overheating the laptop?
    what version of kodi with add-ons are you using?

I would like to do the same setup you are using?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to laker For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 25x in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Jay View Post
    I run Kodi with a HTPC I built a few years ago and it runs Kodi good. My parents got an android box and again it runs it fine I believe it is a MX3 quad core. They are very happy with it and I wouldn't put down the android boxes, they are reasonably priced compared to a HTPC or laptops. So if you are just wanting something to run Kodi I personally would go with an android box with at least a quad core they are more then reasonable to run kodi. Think of the power savings as well running an android box to a PC, no noise from them either.
    True enough and I hope it works for them for many years. I have bought the mxiii for 4 ppl and only one is still standing. There is a well known heating problem with this box. I have recorded core temperatures as high as 96 degrees c. I am replacing these boxes at my expense.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,949x in 826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    What system of windows are you running?....all extensions (or start up items on) what processor? (I 3,I 5 ?)

I have a netbook with W7 Ultimate and 2 gig ram running on a 60" Toshiba with no problems.
    It doesn't over heat at all.
    I was lazy and loaded TVaddons to it.
    KODI 15

I like it when I go away as it is small and easy to pack.
    It worked great in the DR last year and Tampa last February.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benney For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Whiskey
Cheers Mate...
swannerCrown Royal

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post

I have it running on a quad core 3.2 ghz AMD processor with 8GB of RAM on Win 7, works fine on my LG tv in 1080P. 50Mbit download on uncapped internet

as for version I done exactly the same as Benney and just installed the TVMC for windows. More there than I can watch

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 51x in 26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Benney View Post
    I have a netbook with W7 Ultimate and 2 gig ram running on a 60" Toshiba with no problems.
    It doesn't over heat at all.
    I was lazy and loaded TVaddons to it.
    KODI 15

I like it when I go away as it is small and easy to pack.
    It worked great in the DR last year and Tampa last February.
    Thank you so much for your answer!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to laker For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast