Thread: Bypass Flash Card

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Default Bypass Flash Card

I want to bypass the flash card and downloaded the following instructions. I have my hard drive on sda1. I disconnected the flash card and loaded the factory 1.0.1.15 iso disk.

1. Load factory Restore CD-ROM

2. When it states compact flash not found press on your keyboard Ctrl + Alt + F2

3. username: root password: admin

4. Enter the commands below

fdisk /dev/hda or sda < /usr/bin/flash.part
    mke2fs /dev/hda1 or sda1
    mount /dev/hda1 or sda1 /mnt/flash
    mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cd
    tar -xjf /cdrom/zz/rootfs-1.0.1.15-fact-cw-lmc.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/flash/
    grub --no-curses < /usr/bin/grubins
    umount /mnt/flash
    umount /cdrom
    reboot

When I reboot I get kernel hang or if I use the 16r1 disk I get starting system which the status bar never moves, so:

Questions:
    1) How should I format the hard drive? I tried Windows and I tried doing it in Lunux Ubunto and when I type the first command I get:

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 121601
    There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024 and could in certain setups cause problems with:
    a) software that runs at boot time
    b) booting and partitioning software from other OS's

All of the other commands go through without an error.

2) Should I format the hard drive with the flash card installed through the software?
    3) Should I format the hard drive in Linux Ubunto with 1024 for number of cylinders?
    4) How do do this with disk utility?

I feel like I am so close to ditching the stupid flash card, but seem to be 1 step away from Nirvana.
    5) Is there a "/" after flash on the 5th command? I saw some people use it and some don't regardless it hasn't helped me.

Any help would allow me to live a productive life. This has been driving me crazy.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 43x in 28 Posts

Ok if you look at the other post you need to do this with o.s. 13 .

You must start with the box at this os ( 1.0.1.1.13 ) no other add on's . Stock box . Once you get it to work you can do them . If some thing go's wrong you start over. Do not put third party on until last .
    Remember if you go to 17.r2 to use 4.22 . There is no advantage to what you are doing for sat viewing . Works fine as is .
    Last edited by mindbender; 05-09-2015 at 02:11 AM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mindbender View Post
    Ok if you look at the other post you need to do this with o.s. 13 .

You must start with the box at this os ( 1.0.1.1.13 ) no other add on's . Stock box . Once you get it to work you can do them . If some thing go's wrong you start over. Do not put third party on until last .
    Remember if you go to 17.r2 to use 4.22 . There is no advantage to what you are doing for sat viewing . Works fine as is .
    Do you mean 1.0.1.15? I believe that was the factory software. I have never seen 1.0.1.13. I tried using the 1.0.1.15 and it doesn't work. Wasn't the 13 for the CW3000? I think the 1st one for the CW4000 was 1.0.1.15
    Last edited by chasek77; 05-09-2015 at 09:46 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 43x in 28 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chasek77 View Post
    Do you mean 1.0.1.15? I believe that was the factory software. I have never seen 1.0.1.13. I tried using the 1.0.1.15 and it doesn't work. Wasn't the 13 for the CW3000? I think the 1st one for the CW4000 was 1.0.1.15
    Yes, they are the same O.S. . Look for that iso image and start from there.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I tried 1.0.1.15 and it did not work.
    Are you saying that 1.0.1.13 and 1.0.1.15 are the same?
    If you are saying I need the 1.0.1.13 for the CW4000 do you know where I can get it? I googled and could not find it.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 43x in 28 Posts

I tried 1.0.1.15 and it did not work.
    Are you saying that 1.0.1.13 and 1.0.1.15 are the same?
    If you are saying I need the 1.0.1.13 for the CW4000 do you know where I can get it? I googled and could not find it.
    No they are different . In the code where you type 1.0.1.15 you are renaming 13 to 15 so you can update from there. 1.0.1.13 has the
    Code to set up the o.s. partition correctly the other o.s. do not have this . I will do some looking for the 13 iso recovery .

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mindbender View Post
    No they are different . In the code where you type 1.0.1.15 you are renaming 13 to 15 so you can update from there. 1.0.1.13 has the
    Code to set up the o.s. partition correctly the other o.s. do not have this . I will do some looking for the 13 iso recovery .

Thanks a lot. I have lots of versions but only go back as far as 1.0.1.15. I formatted the hard drive with no partition in Ubunto then went in to the CW software and did a storage device menu add on. So, you are saying 15 doesn't work, but 13 will?

I keep getting
    Error 22: no such partition
    grub> setup (hd0)

Error 12: Invalid device requested
    grub quit/root
    Last edited by chasek77; 05-14-2015 at 07:54 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 43x in 28 Posts

Ok I would plug the card and hd back in as stock and add load the o.s. and the hd . That should get the hd formatted correctly. Then unplug the flash card and try the steps and see what happens . I know that the info on the flash migrates files to the hd over time . That is the reason for a do over if you remove the hd.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I plugged back in the flash card and started with 1.0.1.15 and tried to format the hard drive through the software and that did not work. I also tried the 1.0.1.16r1 software and tried to format the hard drive through the software and that did not work, so I am going to assume I need the 1.0.1.13 version, which I can't find online. Any luck on finding it?

When I remove the flash card do I also need to undo the connection from the power supply to the flash card holder? I have not tried that yet, but not sure why that would make a difference.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

The main reason I want to install on the hard drive versus the flash drive is to speed up channel changing, since the video is slow when you change channels. I thought by doing this and adding memory it would improve the time for channels to come in quicker. Are you saying that will have no effect? I have a Captiveworks 800 and the channels change a lot faster then on the CW4000. I also don't like the hang up of the flash card having to be 1 meg either.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 43x in 28 Posts

The main reason I want to install on the hard drive versus the flash drive is to speed up channel changing, since the video is slow when you change channels. I thought by doing this and adding memory it would improve the time for channels to come in quicker. Are you saying that will have no effect? I have a Captiveworks 800 and the channels change a lot faster then on the CW4000. I also don't like the hang up of the flash card having to be 1 meg either.
    The flash just boots the os so no it won't help changing channels. The ram and the processor chip would help that , also good signal and good internet .

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Did you ever find the CW-LMC-1.0.1.13 factory version, so I can avoid the flash card?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 46x in 20 Posts
    Items CashMartini

Did you ever find the CW-LMC-1.0.1.13 factory version, so I can avoid the flash card?
    This might / should work.

CW-3000HD /CW-4000HD The 1.0.1.13 Recovery CD image has been released. ** Should be at Captive Works home site **

The 1.0.1.13 Recovery CD image has been released.

New feature in this recovery image:

There is now an option to reset the hard drive without losing recordings or other media. Choosing this option will reset the hard drive to a factory fresh state without having to format the drive.

If you have upgraded to version 1.0.1.13 via the CW-3000HD Updates menu you do not have to use this new 1.0.1.13 iso. The iso is intended for people that want to restore their CW-3000HD to factory default software configuration.

The link below is a 90MB compressed system recovery file containing the entire OS for the CW-3000HD version 1.0.1.13.

Installing this recovery image will format your flash, recreate the file system, and re-install the entire OS.

If you have installed a storage device, you have the option of retaining it with all recordings and other media or you may start over fresh and reinstall the hard drive.

Here is how to install the recovery CD:

1) Download the file CW3000HD Recovery Image
    2) Unzip the file to get cw3000-recovery-1.0.1.13.iso and burn it to a CD with your favorite CD burning software.
    NOTES:
    a) We recommend using burnatonce software to create the Restore CD. Instructions are at the end of this post.
    b) Burning an ISO is not the same as burning a data CD. If you are not using burnatonce, you need to specifically use the Image Burn method in your software.

3) Once you have a CD with this image on it, insert the CD into the DVD drive of the CW-3000HD.
    4) Connect a computer keyboard.
    5) Press the Power Button
    6) When the initial splash screen appears (that is the one with the press TAB line at the bottom) press the F8 button(rev 1) or F11 button(rev 2) on your keyboard. The bottom line will change to "Entering Boot Menu".
    7) When the boot menu displays, use the up/down arrow keys on your keyboard to select the DVD drive. It will be listed under a CDROM heading. Press enter after selecting the DVD drive.
    8) The system will boot and you will see text scrolling up the screen. finally, you will see a selection menu on the screen.
    9) Type 1 for a complete system restore. Type 2 to restore a system with a hard drive. Type 3 to check a hard drive for errors. Type 4 to reboot with out restoring. Press Enter.
    10) The installation file is large. Do not interrupt this process. The system will reboot after a few minutes.
    11) Make sure one TV cable is connected to the CW-3000HD.
    12) The system will reboot one more time.
    13) The main menu screen will appear. You will need to reconfigure your system. Make sure you enable or disable adapters accordingly if you do not have satellite connections to all tuner. Pay attention to the type of connection/resolution selected. Make sure it matches your TV.
    14) Continue on to admin and continue configuring your system.

Instructions for using "burnatonce" software to create the restore CD:
    NOTE: Information contributed originally by MotleyFool
    Burnatonce is free for non-comercial use. It is a small 3.8 MB download that is designed for burning disk images. You can download the install package here: BurnAtOnce

Once downloaded, install the application. The default installation associates .iso files with burnatonce so all you need to do is double click on the .iso file to bring up Burnatonce ready to burn that iso image. Click on the write button and you get the image burned without having to worry about the difference between a data CD and a image CD. This may be a simpler way of properly burning the recovery image without having to learn the intricacies of the more feature packed CD burning packages.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I used the wayback machine on the Captiveworks website and did a google search and could not find the 13 version, so without that I am stuck.