Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Global warming...

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,083x in 4,688 Posts
    Items Ying & yangRepCheckered FlagGolfCrown RoyalFootballGreeceCanada

just for fun , i googled that question and i got 162,000,000 results ... LOL
    good luck reading through all that

if i asked that question of my mother ,,, her answer would've been ..... GOD

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TLG For This Useful Post:

Condor is offline Jr Admin/Satfix 2016 Football Pool - Week 10 & Week 15 Champ
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,837x in 5,629 Posts
    Items Mexico
Gift received at 04-01-2014, 11:29 PM from hedley
Gift received at 06-11-2013, 04:36 PM from darlinkat
HugsUSA
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 03:37 PM from ICEMAN
Gift received at 10-02-2012, 02:00 PM from ICEMAN
Gift received at 09-29-2012, 11:31 PM from clarkBENT

Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    just for fun , i googled that question and i got 162,000,000 results ... LOL
    good luck reading through all that

if i asked that question of my mother ,,, her answer would've been ..... GOD
    No religion allowed either.... Beheheheheheeeeee!!!!

The matterhorn Mountain before

The matterhorn Mountain after..

The only thing I am afraid of is what I am capable of

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Condor For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 235x in 119 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Condor View Post
    It used to be naturally occurring...Lol.. ......But you know was well as I do that no one will ever convince you... So I will just respond 1 more time with this little graph
    True, your religion and mine are WAY different

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 18dd2 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,949x in 826 Posts

Impacts of Airplane Pollution on Climate Change and Health

Viewed from the ground, airplanes appear clean and efficient. They fly at fantastic speeds with no apparent effort, leaving behind only thin streams of puffy white clouds.
    In reality, airplanes accomplish the miraculous feat of hurling hundreds of thousands of pounds of people, baggage, and aluminum thousands of miles at high speeds by consuming huge amounts of fossil fuels. In the process, airlines dump massive amounts of dangerous pollutants over our homes and into our atmosphere every day. This great but largely invisible harm will continue to grow at an accelerating rate in the years to come.
    Airplanes have three major problems: they are inefficient, they are big, and they run on toxic fuels. A fully laden A380, according to its’ engine maker Rolls Royce, uses as much energy as 3,500 family cars, equivalent to six cars for each passenger. 1 Long haul flights produce on average twice as much emissions per mile traveled per passenger than cars and short haul flights produce three times as much.
    Unlike cars, however, people do not use airplanes for a few minutes each day to travel just around the corner for groceries or into the office. People fly hundreds or thousands of miles on each flight and airplanes spend many hours each day aloft. A single round trip flight from New York to Europe or San Francisco produces two to three tons of carbon dioxide per person. 2 To put this in perspective, the average American generates 19 tons of carbon dioxide and the average European produces ten over an entire year. A few flights, in other words, can completely overwhelm any attempts to reduce your personal contribution to global warming.
    Airplanes achieve such extraordinary levels of energy consumption and carbon emissions by burning large quantities of toxic jet fuel. This fuel produces, in addition to carbon dioxide, NOx, sulphates, and particulate matter, all of which amplify the impact of aviation on global warming. Airplanes emit all of these pollutants directly into the atmosphere, compounding the pollutants’ warming impact. Even those innocuous-looking contrails trap heat on the Earth’s surface. The combined effect of all of these pollutants multiplies the global warming impact of aviation, making aviation currently responsible for an estimated 5% of global climate pollution.
    The burning of incredible quantities of toxic fuel has impacts that extend beyond the climate. As soon as airplanes leave the gate, they begin to produce phenomenal amounts of nitrogen oxides (NOx), carbon monoxide, particulate matter, and cancer-causing toxics such as benzene and formaldehyde. 3 This pollution travels miles downwind, contributing to asthma, lung and heart disease, and a large number of cancers.
    The emissions from taxiing and take-off of aircraft help make airports some of the largest sources of these pollutants and major public health hazards. For example, Los Angeles Airport is the largest source of NOx, a key cause of the region’s copious smog, in California and the third largest source of carbon monoxide. 4 Logan Airport in Boston, MA produces twice as much benzene as the next largest source in Massachusetts. 5 Scientists have found that even small increases in taxi time at airports in Southern California contribute to significant increases in asthma, respiratory ailments, and heart disease in surrounding communities. 6 Scientists also believe that particulate matter emissions from airplanes, along with ships and trains, contribute to 1,800 early deaths per year in the United Kingdom alone. 7 These health impacts also translate into large economic costs for society.
    All of these climate, health, and economic impacts will escalate enormously in the future as more and more people around the world fly. Analysts expect the global aviation industry to grow by 5% per year for the next two decades. 8 At this rate, the size of the industry will double in 15 years and triple in 23. Scientists expect aviation carbon dioxide emissions to double by 2030, bringing with them more toxic pollution. 9 Airplanes have become more efficient and less polluting over time. But these small gains have and will continue to be overwhelmed by the gross inefficiency of the activity and the rapid growth of the industry.
    Despite their shiny chrome exterior, an airplane, just like a power plant or an oil refinery, is dirty. Worse still, it is an industry on the move, growing in size and pollution in leaps and bounds. The governments of the world have the opportunity to dramatically cut airplane pollution, and help the climate. But until United Airlines and other airlines clean up their operations and support common sense, low-cost emissions reduction policies, aviation pollution will just keep growing, hurting local communities and the global climate.

1 Economist. “Aircraft Emissions. The Sky’s the Limit.” June 8, 2006.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benney For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,831x in 6,153 Posts
    Items HookahA BeerFootballGolfACDCGuitar2street BikeCheckered Flag

If it looks like a duck,quacks like a duck walks like a duck it's a hampster therefore gay people are responsible for global warming due to the emissions of CH4 (methane is the 2nd largest green house gas) thru a process known as feltching.......just can't help myself sometimes.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steveOtoo For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 307x in 163 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 18dd2 View Post
    Is CO2 a pollutant? Or is it naturally occurring?
    Quote Originally Posted by 18dd2 View Post
    So, It is a naturally occurring gas – just like oxygen. Who made CO2? Oxygen?
    of course it occurs naturally, but we're talking about CO2 that is not natural ...

Quote Originally Posted by http://scrippsco2.ucsd.edu/faq
    How do we know that the CO2 increase is caused by human activites?

Industry data provides detailed figures of fossil fuels used in various sectors. This data can be used to calculate the amount of CO2 released into the atmosphere by combustion of the fuels. The emissions are more than sufficient to explain the observed increase in atmospheric CO2 Careful analysis of the atmospheric CO2 data collected by Scripps and other organizations shows that CO2 is increasing at a rate that is about 44% slower than would be expected if all the CO2 from the burning of fossil fuels stayed in the air. The real puzzle is to explain where the missing 44% of the emissions have gone. The answer is that this "missing" CO2 is absorbed by both the oceans and the terrestrial biosphere. On average over the last 50 years the oceans and the terrestrial biosphere have continued to "mop up" this amount of CO2. Whether they will continue to do this as atmospheric CO2 concentrations continue to increase is a critical question and the subject of intense international research.

Other evidence for a human cause: 1) There are no known natural sources of CO2 sufficient to account for the recent increase. 2) There are no known sinks of CO2 sufficient to have absorbed all the CO2 from fossil-fuel burning. 3) For more than 10,000 years prior to the industrial revolution, atmospheric CO2 levels were essentially constant (see below), which shows that the recent increase is not natural. 4) The increase in CO2 has been accompanied by a decrease in O2 (see Scripps O2 Program) and by changes in the ratios of the isotopes of carbon (see below) in the CO2. The O2 and isotopes changes indicate that the CO2 increase was derived from the oxidation of old organic matter - consistent with burning fossil fuel. 5) The pattern of CO2 increase since 1958 has closely mirrored that of fossil-fuel burning (see plot).

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kutter For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Noof View Post
    You seem to know an awful lot about it...lol
    Just kiddin' Stev0.
    I knew that might be a little risky..........but some people just can't be convinced

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steveOtoo For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700x in 619 Posts
    Items ATVA BeerSome beerCamaro
Gift received at 08-28-2013, 07:04 PM from darlinkat

Once you get pass all the ...what ever...lol earth is changing....with help from us . The basic is we are produce more co2 than can be recycled .. Plants..and other things intake co2 and give oxygen..Therefore we are stockpiling more co2 than can be used.Just like all the rest of the things we don't us .Plus the Earth, sun, moon etc is changing...question would be ..instead of the could haves..would haves ..should haves.... is it inevitable or can we help to change some of it.???. hint...(even if we stopped using any kind of engines.today. (fossil fuels) wouldn't be enough .

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 1boxman For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Mexico
HugsUSA

Great conversation in the meantime as I always say... Pictures are worth a thousand words.........

The Danube river before..

The Danube river now...

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Condor For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700x in 619 Posts
    Items ATVA BeerSome beerCamaro
Gift received at 08-28-2013, 07:04 PM from darlinkat

Quote Originally Posted by Condor View Post
    Great conversation in the meantime as I always say... Pictures are worth a thousand words.........

The Danube river before..

The Danube river now...

that reminds me ...before and after my ex..hehe

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 1boxman For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Mexico
HugsUSA

Well just as we figured here in California we have just been rationed.. I can only remember one other time we went thru this and look slike this time it will be for the long haul........

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Condor For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Holy Chit man...........really fell sorry for California,no other state as beautiful. Visited Yosemite back in the early 60's and only a handful of people in the entire park.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to steveOtoo For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Mexico
HugsUSA

Quote Originally Posted by steveOtoo View Post
    Holy Chit man...........really fell sorry for California,no other state as beautiful. Visited Yosemite back in the early 60's and only a handful of people in the entire park.
    You were lucky Steve... Now it would be a miracle if you can get a camping space... I waited over 6 years to get a camping space in the valley.. That was over 10 years ago.. Now I won't even try anymore.......

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456