Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pacquiao makes contingency plans

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,572x in 473 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
    Hence the age old rule of why politicians and religion should stay out of sports.............and visa versa.
    For the sake of a great discussion (of the sport), you have me agreeing with you wholeheartedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fibroso View Post
    aqua

No my friend I don"t hate Pac or anyone. I hate stupidity,ignorance,dogma and politics. Some other things that I much rather not discuss here. Also when some one puts words in my big mouth.
    You are an interesting personality, Feb. (I was going to call you "an old man" but that will be denigrating as I, too, am probably of the same age. I'd rather be called a "sexy senior".)

Have I ever related a story about a successful barber who had a fabulous way of keeping a first time customer as client? He used "The Power of Inference", which is the art of saying something without actually speaking the words.In Grade three grammar, it is called "inference". There is another powerful tool in communication called "context". It is using pictures or illustrations to discover the intended meaning or message.

Whenever a new customer walks in, the barber would engage in small talk and as he begins to cut hair, he asks, "Who the heck cuts your hair?" Without expecting a reply, he quickly follows: "Oh, never mind, I will do it right for you this time so that your lady friend will love it." So what is the "inference"? "You had a lousy barber, I am better!"

Ok, that set aside, let it be known that I did not say it! You did, (big mouth). But you did "infer" that I was "putting words" in your "big mouth". Good golly, you are a masterful user of The Power of Inference! (It's ok, I am extremely in favour of promoting peace in the world, not creating war...so between you and I....no harm intended and no harm done!)

It's good that your disdain of Pacquiao and admiration for Mayweather is as large as an anaconda just having swallowed a whole pig. It makes for interesting debate. This forum would be boring if everyone agreed with everybody else. We need passionate "debaters" like Rokko, Highwayman, Cobra, Rudee, and all the others, who strongly defend "their favourite".

But in the interest of decorum and friendship - and healthy debate, a "personal attack" or mockery of anyone, and that means whoever is the subject of discussion, should be avoided - in my opinion. Unless it is clearly done for entertainment purposes, whether directly said, written, inferred, or contextualize, let us pay respect to those who provide us with excitement, anticipation, thrill - and the sheer joy of jostling, head-butting, or sh$t disturbing expression of our passion here.

As for Mayweather, Adrian Broner, or Rigondeaux, I dislike their style of running a marathon and pot-shooting. I did not like the rope-a-dope either. I'd rather watch Marco Antonio Barrera, Arturo Gatti, or David Lemieux, or Brandon Rios. Maybe I am not a boxing purist. I enjoy James Bond and Mission Impossible, too, instead of sitting patiently and paying close attention to what Gwyneth Paltrow is saying to Joseph Fiennes in Shakespeare in Love. But that is just me. Action man, action!!!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aquariusone For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,093x in 3,592 Posts
    Items Vintage truck
Gift received at 01-14-2016, 04:33 AM from Wrench

so you don`t want to pay attention to Gwyneth Paltrow Aqua?????....RU sure????.....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Read it again. Don't enjoy "listening".... But looking....that's another matter my friend. But it's like watching National Geographic magazine....seeing all the beautiful placed you will never visit. (Go ahead salivate!)

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Vintage truck

Quote Originally Posted by aquariusone View Post
    Read it again. Don't enjoy "listening".... But looking....that's another matter my friend. But it's like watching National Geographic magazine....seeing all the beautiful placed you will never visit. (Go ahead salivate!)
    so true................they all seem to have a horrible habit of talking when we`re not listening. LMAO

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

so true................they all seem to have a horrible habit of talking when we`re not listening. LMAO
    You got that right. I tell my wife that when I am in the John, don't ask me questions. What the @#$@##$&! Why do they have that habit? That is when my mind is at ease, and my creative juices are flowing. I have no time to strain listening!

Hey, I know it is not the right section but do you know that Anderson Silva is fighting Nick Diaz this Saturday? His left leg was broken in two last time he fought against Weidman. Who do you pick? I hope he KO's that big mouth Diaz!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aquariusone For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Vintage truck

You got that right. I tell my wife that when I am in the John, don't ask me questions. What the @#$@##$&! Why do they have that habit? That is when my mind is at ease, and my creative juices are flowing. I have no time to strain listening!

Hey, I know it is not the right section but do you know that Anderson Silva is fighting Nick Diaz this Saturday? His left leg was broken in two last time he fought against Weidman. Who do you pick? I hope he KO's that big mouth Diaz!
    Hear that Fib....he writes this stuff in the can while his creative juices ( amongst other things) flow. Are you sure all of it is being flushed and not hitting these pages?????????? Sorry bud JK I couldn`t resist. LMAO. BTW...I`m thinking Silva too. pretty sleek.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Always feel like a king!!!

BTW, if Amir Khan has to fly Ryan Air from London, to meet up with Pacquiao in Dubai or China, he'd better do it at home first or wait till the plane lands. Ryan Air would soon be implementing Pay Toilet! Personally, I'd take Cathay Pacific! LMAO!
    Last edited by aquariusone; 01-28-2015 at 01:00 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aquariusone For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Vintage truck

Always feel like a king!!!

BTW, if Amir Khan has to fly Ryan Air from London, to meet up with Pacquiao in Dubai or China, he'd better do it at home first or wait till the plane lands. Ryan Air would soon be implementing Pay Toilet! Personally, I'd take Cathay Pacific! LMAO!
    Now that fight I`d be interested in although I`ll confess I haven`t seen much of Khan as of late.....but I`d be interested if he`s learned anything from his earlier days about how to fight with no chin and relying on a one punch arsenal..

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Now that fight I`d be interested in although I`ll confess I haven`t seen much of Khan as of late.....but I`d be interested if he`s learned anything from his earlier days about how to fight with no chin and relying on a one punch arsenal..
    Goes to show you have not seen him against Devon Alexander. He has learned quite a bit, perhaps from his experience with Lamont Peterson. He is no longer as reckless as he used to be. He has upped his defensive skills quite a bit (save that "questionable" chin) and now relies on his quick jab and combinations.

A fight against Pacquiao would be interesting and entertaining for sure..... but ....big but..... I don't think he can hurt the Pacman. He may compete with his speed but Manny is brutal with his left hook. Besides, with his footwork and lateral movements, Khan would have a hard time figuring out where the punches are coming from. What would save him is their friendship. Manny is likely to "ease up" on him like he did with Mosley.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aquariusone For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Vintage truck

Goes to show you have not seen him against Devon Alexander. He has learned quite a bit, perhaps from his experience with Lamont Peterson. He is no longer as reckless as he used to be. He has upped his defensive skills quite a bit (save that "questionable" chin) and now relies on his quick jab and combinations.

A fight against Pacquiao would be interesting and entertaining for sure..... but ....big but..... I don't think he can hurt the Pacman. He may compete with his speed but Manny is brutal with his left hook. Besides, with his footwork and lateral movements, Khan would have a hard time figuring out where the punches are coming from. What would save him is their friendship. Manny is likely to "ease up" on him like he did with Mosley.
    Like I mentioned I have no idea on the progression of Khan but I do remember him with a right hand that may very well do some damage if Pac were to get hit by it. If Khan`s defense hasn`t jumped for the better Pac would have no problem waiting and getting inside.....when and if he does the fight would end quickly in Pac`s favor. Be it known I`m judging the future with the past of what I can recall.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,063x in 2,101 Posts
    Items A BeerNASCARYing & yangWhiskey
Gift received at 01-26-2014, 01:29 AM from KIDWCKED

You can't by any means remake a boxer with no chin. He may beat some "dead meat" boxer around but when a good pugilist steps in with him, his chin will be vulnerable and sooner or later, he'll do like London Bridge.

I deleted my post, sorry , didn't want cause any problems. Done and forgotten.
    Lets talk boxing, you guys. This place smells like someone took a dump somewhere!!!!
    Last edited by Fibroso; 01-28-2015 at 12:02 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Fibroso For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Vintage truck

Quote Originally Posted by Fibroso View Post
    You can't by any means remake a boxer with no chin. He may beat some "dead meat" boxer around but when a good pugilist steps in with him, his chin will be vulnerable and sooner or later, he'll do like London Bridge.

I deleted my post, sorry , didn't want cause any problems. Done and forgotten.
    Lets talk boxing, you guys. This place smells like someone took a dump somewhere!!!!
    At times it certainly does........but it`s rare so it`s never a big deal.

What I remember of Khan is that he gets wobbled once hit with a good shot and his "defense" was staggering all over the ring to avoid getting hit again, but that was then. He was suspect by leaving himself open after throwing his right and that can indeed be corrected....wondered if he did it or not cause I haven`t seen him fight. We`ll see maybe.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

KIDWCKED is offline Visiting Dignitary/Satfix 2021 NFL week 1 Champ
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,425x in 4,579 Posts
    Items Some beerMartini
Gift received at 04-01-2014, 12:27 AM from hedley
Gift received at 11-13-2013, 11:18 PM from thebeav
Gift received at 12-17-2012, 07:15 AM from ICEMAN

Default Mayweather, Manny meet in private!!

Hours after a public face-to-face meeting and brief discussion during halftime of Tuesday night's Miami Heat-Milwaukee Bucks game in Miami, Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. met privately for more than an hour to continue discussing terms for their proposed May 2 megafight.

They met inside Pacquiao's hotel suite and "it was very pleasant and very encouraging, and we give Floyd credit for coming over," Pacquiao adviser Michael Koncz, who was present at the meeting, told ESPN.com on Wednesday. "That's the first time they ever sat eye to eye. I've met Floyd many times, but he and Manny had never had a chance to meet. They talked at halftime, but this was a longer, more serious meeting. You could tell by their body language that this was very positive. It was for a good hour or more.
    "It was a business meeting, but it wasn't a tense business meeting. I think that's because they both have mutual respect for each other. We'll determine what will happen over the next couple of days."
    [+] Enlarge@MiamiHeat/Twitter After meeting publicly at the Heat-Bucks game, Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. met again privately for more than an hour.

The halftime meeting, which Pacquiao said was the first time he and fellow welterweight champion Mayweather Jr. met, resulted in an exchange of phone numbers and lit up social media as sports fans continued to hope this latest twist would get them closer to fighting each other.
    The sides have been negotiating what will certainly be the richest fight in boxing history, but no deal has been struck yet. One of the issues is that Time Warner/HBO, which has a contract with Pacquiao, and CBS/Showtime, which has Mayweather under contract, need to hammer out terms for a joint pay-per-view telecast, which they did once before for the 2002 fight between then-heavyweight world champion Lennox Lewis and former champ Mike Tyson. They have been negotiating the terms.
    Koncz said that Mayweather voiced two specific broadcasting issues to Pacquiao during the hotel meeting.
    "I told Floyd I would call [Pacquiao promoter] Bob [Arum of Top Rank] in the morning, and I did that and discussed them with Bob, and he assured us they have been worked out. I took care of it," Koncz said. "I said to Floyd, and Manny agreed, that if those are the only two broadcasting issues, we would take care of them."
    Koncz declined to go into detail about the specifics of the issues because "I don't want to step on HBO's or Showtime's toes."
    Koncz said Pacquiao and Mayweather also discussed other issues but that the broadcasting items were "the majority of the discussion. Floyd said, 'I want the fight to happen,' and Manny said he does, too. If the fighters both want the fight to happen, who can stop it? They both said they want it to happen, and we're still looking to make it happen on May 2.
    "I think people are just tired of all of this. Me and Manny, and maybe Floyd, we're tired of the fans and everybody, everywhere we go continually asking us when the fight will happen. Boxing needs this fight to happen, and it needs to happen in May."
    Typically, a fight of this magnitude would kick off with a cross-country media tour to hype the event and get the word out. Koncz said Mayweather-Pacquiao is so big they don't need to do that.
    "I don't want to go on a worldwide tour. We don't think it's necessary," he said. "Look, we could have stopped in seven cities and not gotten the kind of publicity we got from Manny and Floyd talking at halftime of the basketball game.
    "I think we could do one city, perhaps two, New York and Los Angeles, and this thing will go viral. It will sell itself. We don't need to go spending money on private jets to go to a lot of cities. Those tours are expensive. The money could go to the fighters instead. People want this fight and have wanted it for so long. I would have liked to see it happen three or four or five years ago, but hopefully we can get it done now. It will be the biggest fight in history."
    Koncz said it was a coincidence that Pacquiao and Mayweather were both at the Heat game, with Mayweather next to the Heat bench and Pacquiao directly across from him on the opposite sideline. During their brief halftime meeting, Koncz said they exchanged cell phone numbers. Mayweather is a regular at Heat games. Pacquiao was in Miami to serve as a judge at the Miss Universe pageant this past Sunday night.
    Koncz said they had planned to travel to New York after the pageant, but with a blizzard hitting the Northeast, they decided to stay in Miami for a few extra days. The unexpected meeting at the game, and later in the hotel, came during a critical time in the negotiations for the fight. Pacquiao wants any deal with Mayweather wrapped up by the end of January, the usual timeframe to promote a major May pay-per-view event.
    Pacquiao (57-5-2, 38 KOs), the 36-year-old Filipino legend, and Arum have repeatedly said they have agreed to all of the terms outlined by Mayweather (47-0, 26 KOs), who turns 38 in February, during talks with CBS CEO Leslie Moonves, who has served as the go-between on behalf of Mayweather and his adviser, Al Haymon. Mayweather has said he intends to fight May 2 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, be it against Pacquiao or somebody else.

If the fight is not finalized, Arum told ESPN.com last week that Pacquiao's backup plan is to fight May 30, and he identified England's Amir Khan, a former unified junior welterweight titleholder and top welterweight contender, as the leading candidate for the bout.
    There has been intense interest in a Pacquiao-Mayweather showdown since 2009, but various negotiations have fallen apart over the years. However, this round of talks, according to those involved, is the closest it has been since the initial negotiations in late 2009 and early 2010 broke down because of a disagreement over how to carry out the drug testing for the bout.
    According to sources involved in this round of talks, they have agreed to the drug testing protocol, among many others aspects of the fight. Should they meet, the fight, worth hundreds of millions of dollars, is expected to shatter every revenue record in boxing history.
    [KIDWICKED]..;/

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KIDWCKED For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Vintage truck

Manny.........OK....you tell them this and this and that, then I`ll say......

PBF........OK.....that`s good, then I`ll call Arum a couple names and you say that.......

Manny & PBF.....we`ll drive them all crazy, let`s go fishing this weekend OK?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12