Thread: DP34 No Signal

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 17x in 12 Posts

Default DP34 No Signal

I previously posted this issue and had lots of helpful replies, most of which suggested replace the DP34. Finally did this with a new one and issue persists:

Have Limey HD Air connected to Receiver Port 2 & Sonicview 360P connected to port 1. Dish 1 with Legacy DP LNB connected to dish port 1 and Dish 2 (129) with Legacy DP LNB connected to port 2.

All appears to work fine for a while and then suddenly S & Q on both receivers and both dishes drops to 20%. Normally running at around 70 to 80% on both. Limey stops working. However SV360 still works with this low signal!
    Only way to correct the issue is to switch off the Limey for about 10 minutes and then power back up - then all ok for a couple of hours/days, then same thing happens - signal/quality drops on both receivers.

If I connect either dish to either receiver directly to the receivers with barrel connectors all is well and no failures. Had 119SD connected to SV360 and 129HD connected to Limey for over 3 months while I waited for the new switch and not a single issue with signal strength.

Before I got the Limey, I had an SV8000HD for over 4 years with same setup and never had an issue. Helpful peeps and my tests indicated that the DP34 may have gone bad (we have high temps here in the summer months).

Both receivers (Limey and SV360) are on all the time (I don't switch them off) and both have power to LNB set to ON, 22KHz set to OFF.

Any advise would be helpful - I am now beginning to suspect the Limey!

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Are you sure it was a DP34 in-line before???

Have a photo of the old switch? (A good close up would be the best)

And some photos of your LNB's.
    ♫♫♫ I知 a lumberjack and I知 OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 17x in 12 Posts

Thanks Terryl - yes sure - old one but def a DP34. The new one I got off ebay looks the same but had all the grounding blocks instead of just the one. My LNBs have been with me for years LOL and are generic circular DPs. Will try to take photo later but there are no markings on them.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

The newer DP34's switches will only work with Dish DP type LNB's, (according to Dish engineering) this due to the way the DP type LNB's work.

You may need a generic 4x4 switch, if they are the generic type then you could try a standard 4x1 Diseqc switch as a test into the limesat, if it works then try a second Diseqc switch off the second ports of the LNB's for the SV360.

What one of these photos matches your new switch?

"If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 17x in 12 Posts

Top one is the new one I just installed and bottom one is the old one. And yes, the LNBs are dual port so I could run them separately through a 4x1. I have not changed the LNBs since first install and they worked for years with the old DP34 and the SV units (actually 1xSV360 and 2xSV8K). Then my 8Ks died and just replaced one of them with the Limesat and that is when the issues began.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 17x in 12 Posts

Well, its been nearly a month now with the new switch and still getting occasional complete signal loss to both receivers which requires the Limey Air to be powered down for a couple of minutes. When powered back up the signal on both receivers returns to normal. This has got to be a Limesat issue, but why it affects the signal to both receivers is beyond me. Anybody else faced same or similar with Limesat Air receiver?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Have you looked real close at the bottom of the switch?

Right on top it says....10.5 to 29V 750 mA per port, your receivers may not have the DC current to run the switch properly, the old SV units may have held out for this long a time with out damage to their power supplies, but the Limesat just doesn't have the juice to run the switch, (for very long) a DC power inserter may fix the problem.

A DP 44 switches DC power inserter will run that switch without any problems, it should be on it's own coax to the #1 receiver port on the switch.

Or an old Disn nutwurks 301 receiver will run the switch, it doesn't have to be active, just do a switch check so it knows whats attached to it.

And the way that switch works as far as the DC power input, the connected receiver with the highest DC voltage runs it, but that receiver needs to be able to supply at least 750 mA of DC current, 90% ot the FTA receivers out there can only supply 500 mA, 600 of you got lucky.

The reciver that may have been powering the whole thing was the SV360, is it still around? And dose it still work?

If so then hook it to the #1 port and see what comes of it.

"Can you HIDE it"?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post: