Thread: Should my current cable instal Factory file to I-link 9500?

I'm in Scarberia, East part of Toronto these dayz.e
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 38x in 32 Posts

Default Should my current cable instal Factory file to I-link 9500?

My 9500 locked up so I need to instal the Factory file through null cable. My computer only has usb out, no 9 pin. I downloaded & installed the SUpdateH201 Application fine, followed the directions but nothing happened. the Factory file wouldn't move. I have a 9 pin male to usb cable that I used to use for Noi support from one of my old pc's to my Nfusion HD. Can that cable be also used to instal Factory file to an I-Link? If not,what kind do I need to buy? I guess I could take a pic of it if I need to, it is not an ordinary cable, it has some electronics in back of the 9 pin. I hope someone will know the kind of cable I'm talking about. It is about 2 feet long & has blue see-through casings.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

You need a USB to RS-232 converter, it has to have a 9 pin output, and it must be compatible with you computers operating system, if you have XP then most should work, if it's vist or higher then you have to look for one that has drivers for that OS.

This type of interface will let you connect your receiver to your computer.

Look at these hummers.

Code:
    http://www.amazon.com/Male-RS232-Cable-Connector-Disk/sim/B00404N0IQ/2
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 38x in 32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
    You need a USB to RS-232 converter, it has to have a 9 pin output, and it must be compatible with you computers operating system, if you have XP then most should work, if it's vist or higher then you have to look for one that has drivers for that OS.

This type of interface will let you connect your receiver to your computer.

Look at these hummers.

Code:
    http://www.amazon.com/Male-RS232-Cable-Connector-Disk/sim/B00404N0IQ/2
    Thanks Terry, you might have noticed that mine is the 3rd listed & I think it might have come with a driver disc- though hard to remember, it's been years. I'll search for the disk & see what I can do. I have windows 7 though & I used the cable to get Noi going on a pc with XP.

Kinda wish I had a pic of the disc, I'm pretty sure it would be a mini disc...
    Last edited by tOr0nTo; 10-01-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 38x in 32 Posts

I found a disc, not a mini disc, a blue one labelled 'Product Driver USB Serial Converter'. Pretty appropo but I don't remember it as coming with the converter. Anyway I instal successfully & set up & try to use the converter, when it asks me to turn on the stb I flick the switch & nothing comes on! Nothing appears or changes. The stb won't boot unless I disconnect the 9 pin. When it boots up I get Booting, Welcome, & 02566_ CH- on the display & also an image with channel 2566 on the rca out. No front buttons or remote will work though.

So there's some hope as at least it boots up. Wish I could be sure I'm using the right software.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

You may need a "Null Modem" adapter for that receiver, also that USB to RS-232 converter is only compatible with Windows 98, 2000, XP and ME, so if your running anything higher then XP you may need a new one.
    Last edited by Terryl; 10-01-2014 at 07:51 PM.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 38x in 32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
    You may need a "Null Modem" adapter for that receiver, also that USB to RS-232 converter is only compatible with Windows 98, 2000, XP and ME, so if your running anything higher then XP you may need a new one.
    Yeah I'm running W7 so that could be it. I spent all day yesterday trying to set up my old pc with it's xp but no luck. I used it before to reinstall the file.

"Null modem", is there anything else to know? If you could be as exact as you can about the name & specs that might help when I shop around- especially at local stores near College/Spadina here.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 38x in 32 Posts

The disc I found included Windows 7, I installed it- but maybe it's the wrong disc :/