Thread: Manny Pacquiao considering drop in weight class following Chris Algieri fight

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,063x in 2,101 Posts
    Items A BeerNASCARYing & yangWhiskey
Gift received at 01-26-2014, 01:29 AM from KIDWCKED

Default Manny Pacquiao considering drop in weight class following Chris Algieri fight

Manny Pacquiao considering drop in weight class following Chris Algieri fight

By Kevin 1 hour ago Yahoo Sports

.View photo

MACAU - NOVEMBER 24: Manny Pacquiao (R) of the Philippines punches Brandon Rios of the U.S. during their 'Clash in Cotai' WBO International Welterweight title fight on November 24, 2013 in Macau. (Photo by Nicky Loh/Getty Images)

Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. share one trait: both boxers are sick of answering questions about the other. Whenever one has a fight, he's peppered with questions about the other.
    Pacquiao, in San Francisco Thursday as part of a media tour to promote his Nov. 22 fight for the WBO welterweight title with Chris Algieri in Macau, China, jokingly referenced Mayweather during a telephone interview with Yahoo Sports as, "The one we don't mention."

Manny Pacquiao, left, and Chris Algieri pose for photographers during a news conference in Macau. (AP)

But Pacquiao created a bit of non-Mayweather news on Thursday when he told Yahoo Sports that iffff he successfully gets past Algieri, he'd consider returning to 140 or 135 pounds. He's been fighting at 147 because it's where the big-name opponents were and because he hoped to make the fight with Mayweather. But given most insiders never expect that bout to happen, Pacquiao said he's willing to go down in weight to seek a big fight.
    "I could make either weight, 135 or 140, easily," Pacquiao said. "It would be easy for me. I am at 147 because that's where the action is in terms of the opponent, but it wouldn't be hard."
    The Algieri fight is being fought at a catch weight of 144 pounds, though Pacquiao trainer Freddie Roach said he wished it had been signed for 140. That way, the bout could have been for both Algieri's WBO super lightweight belt as well as for Pacquiao's WBO welterweight title.
    Pacquiao has weighed 147, 147, 145 and 145, respectively, in his last four outings. He hasn't been below 145 since his Nov. 12, 2011 victory in Las Vegas over Juan Manuel Marquez when he weighed in at 143.
    Pacquiao hasn't weighed 140 for a fight since he was 138 when he blew out Ricky Hatton on May 2, 2009.
    "Manny hasn't really carried his power up with him to 147, but he is a very big puncher at 140," Roach said. "It's a much better weight for him, to be honest with you. He would hurt guys at 140."
    As is typical, Pacquiao will prepare for Algieri with myriad distractions. He's not only a player in the Philippine Basketball Association; this time around, he's also going to coach.
    That work will also come in addition to his responsibilities in the Filipino congress. Adding coaching to his many duties seems to suggest that he's not taking Algieri seriously, but Pacquiao begs to differ.

View gallery
    Manny Pacquiao dribbles as he plays basketball after a training session in 2012. (Getty)

He was asked how he could give his full attention to coaching his basketball team, which is a full-time job for most people, as well as to his training regimen. Roach said Pacquiao promised he'd miss only one day of training for the fight to deal with basketball. Roach said Pacquiao also agreed that he would quit playing basketball a month before the fight. Pacquiao said he respects Algieri's skills and that coaching his PBA team won't impact his preparation for the fight.
    "My training is still intense even with all of that," Pacquiao said. "I have a very good assistant coach who will supervise things for me when I can't be there. There are five assistant coaches and so nothing will be overlooked. We can do it all."
    If he does it all, and is successful, he'll probably drop to 140 for his next outing. Roach said he'd love to see Pacquiao face WBC super lightweight champion Danny "Swift" Garcia.
    Pacquiao said he would love to fight a big fight at 140 and would be open to taking on the best. He said, "of course, no problem," to potential fights at 140 with Garcia and/or Lucas Matthysse.
    Roach said he has his sights on Garcia.
    "Garcia, I think, would be a perfect opponent for Manny," Roach said. "He beat Amir Khan when I had Amir. I know he's a tough guy who comes to fight and he's a quality guy. I'd love a Matthysse fight, too, but I think Garcia would be the one I'd push for if Manny gets past this guy [Algieri]."
    Pacquiao is a 12-1 favorite at Bovada to defeat Algieri, a skilled boxer who proved his toughness by overcoming two first-round knockdowns in June to defeat hard-hitting Ruslan "Siberian Rocky" Provodnikov.
    Algieri is the second-tallest opponent Pacquiao has fought. At 5-foot-10, Algieri is only an inch shorter than Antonio Margarito, whom Pacquiao defeated in a super welterweight title bout in 2010. But Pacquiao said Margarito was too big and that is why he never fought again at 154. And it sounds like his days at welterweight may be numbered, also.
    "Margarito, that fight was a mistake [to compete at that weight]," Pacquiao said. "That's why you never saw me in that class again. I've stayed at welterweight because there have been a lot of fights here for me, but it's definitely no problem at 140 or even at 135. If there is a big fight there, let's do it. It's easy."
    Last edited by Fibroso; 08-30-2014 at 04:12 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fibroso For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Excellent, fight him at 140. I want to see this one at MSG New York, or at Barkley Center at Brooklyn.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fibroso For This Useful Post:

Bonzo is offline Member/Toyota-Savemart 350 Nascar Pool Winner/Satfix 2013 NFL Pool Week # 7 winner/NFL week#11 Pool Winner ,Week 12 pool winner
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268x in 471 Posts
    Items Medal 3
Gift received at 10-22-2013, 11:00 AM from darlinkat
Gift received at 09-17-2013, 01:34 AM from Fibroso
Gift received at 05-26-2013, 01:03 AM from darlinkatCrown Royal
Gift received at 05-26-2013, 01:00 AM from darlinkat
Gift received at 03-29-2013, 03:18 PM from Fibroso

Why do you sound so sure of result?
    Your boy has not looked too good of recent.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonzo For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
    Why do you sound so sure of result?
    Your boy has not looked too good of recent.
    His performance gets better as you know, according to the opponent. I know Pac can't knock him out.
    He grows to the occasion. Remember Matthysse. Just need to see ifff Pac can stand up to his devastating left hook.
    Last edited by Fibroso; 08-30-2014 at 04:15 PM.

Bonzo is offline Member/Toyota-Savemart 350 Nascar Pool Winner/Satfix 2013 NFL Pool Week # 7 winner/NFL week#11 Pool Winner ,Week 12 pool winner
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268x in 471 Posts
    Items Medal 3
Gift received at 10-22-2013, 11:00 AM from darlinkat
Gift received at 09-17-2013, 01:34 AM from Fibroso
Gift received at 05-26-2013, 01:03 AM from darlinkatCrown Royal
Gift received at 05-26-2013, 01:00 AM from darlinkat
Gift received at 03-29-2013, 03:18 PM from Fibroso

Default Peace at last and maybe some great fights to come.

De La Hoya, Arum seek to end ‘Cold War,’ Pacquiao-Garcia on table
    August 30, 2014

Oscar De La Hoya and Bob Arum in 2002 at a press conference for De La Hoya's fight against Fernando Vargas. Photo by Jed Jacobsohn - Getty Images.

Golden Boy President Oscar De La Hoya said that he will meet with Top Rank CEO Bob Arum “next weekend, face to face, in Los Angeles” in order “to talk about ending the Cold War between Golden Boy and Top Rank.”

De La Hoya told RingTV.com on Friday that he “spoke to Bob today” while Arum was in San Francisco in the midst of an ambitious media tour to promote Manny Pacquiao’s Nov. 22 defense of his WBO welterweight belt against rising WBO 140-pound titleholder Chris Algieri.

“We’re going to talk about ending the Cold War between Golden Boy and Top Rank. My objective is to make the big fights,” said De La Hoya. “Golden Boy has fighters that can fight Top Rank fighters and who can make great fights. We want to make great, exciting fights that the people want to see, and that’s what I want to talk to Bob about.”

On Friday, Pacquiao was scheduled to throw out the first pitch for the San Francisco Giants’ game against the visiting Milwaukee Brewers, with a hitting contest between Pacquiao and Algieri slated to happen prior to the start of the contest, according to Arum.

“That’s correct. Oscar called me at the ballpark, and we arranged to have our talk. When I finish with the tour in New York, I’ll be flying to Los Angeles,” said Arum, 82, under whom De La Hoya turned professional after winning an Olympic gold medal in 1992.

“I’ll be meeting with Oscar over the weekend. I have always had a fatherly relationship with Oscar. We went through a whole period of his life, and, of course, my life, together, and I have very warm feelings about him.”

It was back in May at Arum’s vacation home in Los Angeles that Arum and De La Hoya, 41, held a two-and-a half-hour meeting along with Arum’s stepson, Top Rank President Todd duBoef.

After their gathering, Arum declared that he and De La Hoya had “totally repaired” their acrimonious relationship. But their reconciliation is believed to have led, in part, to the resignation of Richard Schaefer as CEO of Golden Boy. Arum and Schaefer were bitter rivals.

One dream matchup that De La Hoya expressed interest in discussing with Arum is that between Pacquiao and RING/WBA/WBC champion Danny Garcia.

“You could have Danny Garcia versus Manny Pacquiao. What a fight that would be. That’s what I want to talk to Bob about. Danny Garcia versus Manny Pacquiao? Come on,” said De La Hoya.

“You would have the young, strong bull versus the not-so-young strong bull in Manny. Those are the types of fights and matches that I want to talk to Bob and see what we can come up with.”

Arum concurred.

“I think that we can talk about Pacquiao and Garcia. That’s a fight that might make a lot of sense,” said Arum, who has spoken to Pacquiao and his advisor, Michael Koncz, about Garcia.

“I’ve mentioned the possibility of that fight to Manny and Michael for down the road, and obviously, that’s something that might be of interest to our side, and I’m glad that they have expressed interest from his side. We haven’t talked about it, Oscar and I, but that’s a fight we would be interested in talking about.”

It was back in June that featherweight Gary Russell Jr. called his WBO title bout against Top-Rank promoted Vasyl Lomachenko a potential “breakthrough” in the rift that had prevented Top Rank’s fighters from facing those such as Russell who are promoted by Golden Boy and aligned with powerful advisor Al Haymon.

Like Russell, who lost the bout to Lomachenko, Garcia is advised by Haymon.

“We’re making a big move here,” said De La Hoya. “This is an effort to make the fights that the fans deserve.”

J’LEON LOVE 167.5, ROGELIO MEDINA 169.6

J’Leon Love (18-0, 10 KOs) and rival Rogelio Medina (32-6, 26 KOs) weighed 167.5 pounds and 168.6, respectively, in advance of Saturday’s clash in Las Vegas.

In his last fight, Love earned a unanimous decision over former title challenger Marco Antonio Periban on the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Marcos Maidana I undercard at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

For the co-feature, Jason Escalera (15-2-1, 12 KOs) and Badou Jack (16-1-1, 11 KOs) weighed 169.2 and 169.4. Escalera has scored consecutive decisions over two previously unbeaten fighters following two losses — he was stopped in the eighth round by title challenger Edwin Rodriguez in September 2012.

Jack is looking to rebound after a 61-second stoppage loss to Derek Edwards in February that followed his sixth-round knockout of Medina in December.

Also on the card, super middleweights Ronald Gavril and rival Thomas Falowo each weighed 166.

JUAN PABLO LOPEZ 141, FERNANDO TORRES 141

Welterweights Juan Pablo “Che Che” Lopez (25-3, 21 KOs) and Fernando Torres (18-5-1, 10 KOs) each weighed 141 pounds for the main event of Saturday’s tripleheader on Televisa and FOX Deportes from Cancun, Mexico.

Also, lightweights Jeffrey Fontanez (15-0, 11 KOs) and rival Gilberto “Flaco” Gonzalez (22-3, 18 KOs) came in at 134.2 and 135 pounds, and Roberto “Tito” Manzanarez (27-1, 23 KOs) and opponent Ricardo “Piolo” Castillo (40-11-1, 26 KOs) came in at 135 and 136, respectively,

JONATHAN GUZMAN, JAVIER FORTUNA, OSCAR ESCANDON SIGN WITH AL HAYMON

Junior featherweight Jonathan Guzman (16-0, 16 KOs), junior lightweight Javier Fortuna (25-0-1, 18 KOs) and 140-pounder Oscar Escandon (23-1, 16 KOs) have signed with Al Haymon, their promoter Sampson Lewkowicz said.

Guzman will fight an opponent to be determined on the Sept. 6 undercadrd of a main event between IBF junior featherweight beltholder Kiko Martinez and Carl Frampton in Belfast, Northern Ireland, Lewkowicz said.

“I am very happy because I’ve known Al Haymon since he first started in this business with [the late] Vernon Forrest. Every time that I make a deal with him, I’ve never had to sign a contract,” said Lewkowicz.

“All that we’ve done is to shake hands. When I received the call, I had the choice to allow him to have my fighters as an advisor and I continue to be their promoter, or not to do that. But I appreciate that in Al Haymon.”
    Last edited by Fibroso; 08-31-2014 at 07:17 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonzo For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I just predicted a fight on the making and your thread just confirmed such an event. We saw this comming, Pac, iffff he goes pass NY, needs a big fight to conquer his lost kingdom over again, Garcia can give him that. Maybe Floyd is behind all of this, not seeking Garcia as an opponent. Then only then, the Mega fight can take shape.

Highwayman's comment
    I also have a bad feeling about pacman facing N.Y. think he bit off a little more than he can chew with this one.
    Last edited by Fibroso; 09-02-2014 at 11:22 AM.