Thread: American Alexander Rossi to make F1 race debut at Spa

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,094x in 3,150 Posts
    Items Whiskey
Gift received at 04-01-2014, 12:31 AM from hedley

Default American Alexander Rossi to make F1 race debut at Spa

Adam Cooper

Alexander Rossi will make his F1 race debut for Marussia at Spa this weekend in place of Max Chilton, who is being rested while, what the team calls “contractual issues,” are resolved.

Rossi was recently picked up by Marussia as a third driver after being dropped by Caterham, for whom he drove in FP1 in Canada.

Team boss John Booth said: “Although it was not our intention to offer Alexander the possibility to race this season, in light of the circumstances we are pleased to be providing him with the opportunity to make his Grand Prix debut at this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix in Spa-Franchorchamps. Naturally we hope to resume normal service with respect to our established race driver line-up as soon as possible, but for now we wish Alexander well for the weekend ahead and we look forward to seeing him in action.”

“It goes without saying that I am thrilled to be given the opportunity to race in Formula One for the first time and I cannot thank the Marussia F1 Team enough for the faith they are demonstrating in me,” said Rossi. “It’s a very big moment for me and there’s a lot to prepare in a short space of time, but on the other hand I have felt ready for this for quite a while now. It is also exciting to be given this opportunity at such a fantastic and historical circuit as Spa-Francorchamps. I can’t wait to drive the MR03 from tomorrow and I hope to reward the team with a solid race weekend.”
    When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross." -- Sinclair Lewis

The answer is 42

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,094x in 3,150 Posts
    Items Whiskey
Gift received at 04-01-2014, 12:31 AM from hedley

Default Chilton to race in Belgium after all; Rossi denied F1 debut

Luke Smith

Max Chilton will take part in this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix after all, having sorted his contractual problems with Marussia, thus denying Alexander Rossi a chance to make his grand prix debut at Spa-Francorchamps.

The American driver was supposed to deputize for Chilton this weekend after the team announced yesterday that the Briton had been benched until his “contractual issues had been resolved”.

However, Marussia has now performed a u-turn, meaning that Chilton will return to the car for the second free practice session later today before completing the rest of the race weekend.

Rossi was due to become the first American F1 driver to take part in a race since Scott Speed back in 2007. However, he will now have to wait a bit longer before finally ending this drought.

The team confirmed yesterday evening that Rossi would be replacing Chilton for the weekend, only for the Briton to send out his own statement saying that he had “volunteered” to give up his seat and allow the team to raise funds by selling it.

However, the team submitted a formal request to the stewards in Spa to change back to Chilton. This was accepted, and the Briton will now take part in the rest of the race weekend.

As a result, Rossi will only complete the running that he was due to in the first place, taking part in free practice one.
    When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross." -- Sinclair Lewis

The answer is 42