PDA

View Full Version : SV8000: Zero Quality on Half the TPs

jubaitca
11-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Hoping someone can help me out with this. I have been having this problem for a while and now its got worse.

My SV8000 has zero quality sometimes on all the Horizontal transponders or all the Vertical transponders. I know the quality should be quite high for all the transponders since they work just fine on another receiver. Can anyone provide any insight as to what the issue is here?

jvvh5897
11-13-2013, 04:09 PM
I would guess a power supply issue. The box has to send 18 volts or 14 volts to the LNB to switch between the two polarities. If one or the other is mising (and usually it would be either 18 OR 14 not sometimes one ande sometimes the other) then you will not get those TPs. Use a multimeter to measure the output levels. Inspect the power supply for its voltages and see if there are obvious problems with capacitors.

junior1
11-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Thanks for making your first post. Signal strength has been a issue with the SV8K for some time now. If your having Quality issues then it sounds like maybe your HD module is going bad.

Terryl
11-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Hoping someone can help me out with this. I have been having this problem for a while and now its got worse.

My SV8000 has zero quality sometimes on all the Horizontal transponders or all the Vertical transponders. I know the quality should be quite high for all the transponders since they work just fine on another receiver. Can anyone provide any insight as to what the issue is here?

The problems you decribe look to be related to the +14 or +18 volt switching used to go between the H and V polarity's on the LNB. (V= 12.5 to 14 volts, H= 17.5 to 19 volts)

However if you have DP or DPP type LNB's from Dish or BEV then this is not the case as those LNB's do not use the 14 or 18 volts to switch.

Only old legacy or the newer standard type LNB's from other manufactures use the voltage as a switch, the band stacking LNB's from Dish or BEV dont.

What type of LNB's do you have on your dish?

This could also be a legacy switch problem, the old SW21, SW34 and SW44 switches use the DC voltage to switch between the polarity's, we need more info on your setup.

jubaitca
11-13-2013, 05:15 PM
I am using a diseqc switch with dp lnb on 91 bev and circular lnb for 119/118.7. I am having issues on all the sats, so not sure how the voltages fits in. Across which terminals would I be checking the voltages?

Terryl
11-13-2013, 07:33 PM
If you are using the DP type LNB's then the switching voltage does not matter.

Re-check you settings for the LNB type in your SAT menus, it can not be set to legacy, universal or standard, I think it should be OCS-DP.

What brand/maker for the LNB used for 118/119?

Also how long has this system been in use?

And how long have you had this problem?

Fishbum
11-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Had the exact !! same problem as you are having on a friends system..
Here is the thread of what I went through to fix it ... http://www.satfix.net/showthread.php?126570-Bad-lnb-even-transponder-has-0-quality!-odd-transponder-has-85-98-quality

diode
11-14-2013, 04:05 PM

Since the reception on other receivers is good, I believe jvvh5897 hit the nail on the head. You need to check your power supply for correct voltages. A bad capacitor is likely the problem and for about $5 you can change almost all of them or you can have the board repaired professionally for about $35. Check fleebay. Google power supply sv8000hd and you'll find many others with the same problem.

Terryl
11-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Since the reception on other receivers is good, I believe jvvh5897 hit the nail on the head. You need to check your power supply for correct voltages. A bad capacitor is likely the problem and for about $5 you can change almost all of them or you can have the board repaired professionally for about $35. Check fleebay. Google power supply sv8000hd and you'll find many others with the same problem.

We need more info from him before he goes ripping the power supply out of that receiver.

If he has DP or DPP type LNB's then the DC switching voltage, or the voltage from the receivers LNB input does not matter. (unless it's under 12.5 volts DC)

If he has "Legacy" or "Standard" LNB's then it does.

Setting the correct or incorrect LNB type in the sat menus can do wonders to fix things or cause problems like this, if he has DP or DPP type LNB's then the setting for OCS-DP must be used. (or the equivalent setting for a dish LNB in the SV8000 receiver)

More information is needed from him or we are all guessing.