PDA

View Full Version : convert a coolsat dongle with 4.12

d97k1500
09-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Has anybody tried to convert a Coolsat dongle for use in a sonicview by loading file 4.12 on it? Is it possible? If so would you just put it over the coolsat software, or would you have to "wipe" it first somehow? Or would it just turn into a "Brick"?

Terryl
09-17-2013, 05:56 PM
You have a good chance of "Bricking" the receiver.

Using software or equipment from a different receiver manufacture can brick the other receiver beyond repair. (for most)

jvvh5897
09-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Is the coolsat dongle just a wiznet hub of the same type as used by sv? If so then it likely could be converted. The coolsat box would have no real idea of what to do with it though as sv used a specific set of custom codes (the CXx series) it is unlikely that coolsat code used the same and it is unlikely the sv code can be used directly in coolsat boxes. And as the routers to do rq-sssp are cheap and easy to mod and use, I'm not sure that it is cost effective to try to do a project like this. But, why not post pics of the dongle and try to get a list of chips inside, then compare to wiznet and ihub pics.

d97k1500
09-17-2013, 07:13 PM
I want to convert the coolsat dongle to work ON the sonicview, not convert it and try it on the coolsat. Also, would one have to "scrub" the coolsat software off the dongle, or could you load sv 4.12 for the wiz110 right over the coolsat software onto the coolsat dongle?

It's Jafo
09-17-2013, 10:47 PM
What type of file extension is the file loaded to the CS dongle. Is it a file of type .Bin ? If it is, then you might be able to load the 4.12 firmware. I doubt it would work even if you got it to load as the dongle surely has a different type of processor than Wiznet and the instructions would mean nothing to the CS dongle.

d97k1500
09-18-2013, 01:57 AM
Ok, I get that, and now I kinda remember loading the R-link (coolsat) through a db9 cable and the sv 4.12 file would load through the wiznet loader through the ethernet side of the adapter, not sure if that makes a whole bunch of diference.

A365
09-18-2013, 05:25 AM
Ok, I get that, and now I kinda remember loading the R-link (coolsat) through a db9 cable and the sv 4.12 file would load through the wiznet loader through the ethernet side of the adapter, not sure if that makes a whole bunch of diference.

Is your "coolsat dongle" an X-FTA dongle/router ?

If this is the case,there is no public file to flash the X-FTA Dongle/Router to SVLAN/I-HUB

Only the creator of X-FTA is selling Dongles/Routers Pre-flashed with SVLAN/I-HUB Files

d97k1500
09-18-2013, 04:35 PM
No, it's a R-link, but now I was wondering what you could tell me about the x-fta/router, can I get my coolsats up and running with one? if so, how?

jvvh5897
09-18-2013, 07:31 PM
If you have a coolsat box loaded with rq-sssp supporting file, then if the router has rq-sssp client running in coolsat mode, you have a "dongle" that lets you contact your IKS server as needed.

It's Jafo
09-19-2013, 01:54 AM
And another option.....
I got an old Dell slim line computer off that auction site for $25. I used it to run the rq-ssp program to run the box and record movies.
Worked great.

:)