PDA

View Full Version : new Router

Frank6926
07-05-2013, 01:55 PM
So I have changed my router from Rogers to Bell. Now when I connect my 8K to the new router I get DNS fail.
I know it probably has something to do with a new IP number.
How do I find out what my new IP number is, and what else do I have to change in settings on my 8K. eg "local IP", "subnet", "gateway", DNS ip. ??
Thanks in advance. Frank

It's Jafo
07-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Confirm your set to DHCP and reboot all starting with the router first letting each fully boot before restarting the next item.
If still nothing,
Open a Dos window. Type "ipconfig/all" and hit enter to see all your network details.
Let us know how you make out.

Frank6926
07-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Ya I just thought of it. If I do it right shouldn't the SV 8000 pick up the numbers automatically? I will try your suggestion in an hour or so. I did go to a web site and got my IP addy. I tried putting that in but still got DNS fail.
Thanks, Frank

It's Jafo
07-05-2013, 08:36 PM
The ip you want is not one you would get from any website (short of your iks ip)
This all pertains to your local area network (lan) connections.
When set to DHCP, you allow the router to assign all network ips to your devices.
The ip's we use here are not ones you need to be worried about hiding.
If you still have issues after the suggestions, Feel free to post your info as you see it in the "private server" window.
:)

Frank6926
07-05-2013, 09:02 PM
And I am now watching tv using my new router. Thanks Jafo. Now do I leave it set to DHCP??
Thanks, again, Frank

It's Jafo
07-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Excellent.
yes.Always stay with DHCP and let the router maintain the network for you.

Happy viewing.

:)