PDA

View Full Version : Front Display Dim - Only parts of the digits...

DocZong
01-26-2013, 06:49 AM
Greetings all,

Apologies if this has been answered before.

The front display on my unit - portions of it are dim... not missing, but dim. Say the character is an 8, a few of the lines are dimmer than the rest. The middle hash, maybe the lower left. You can see the whole 8, but there are two states "dim" and "bright".

Previously, I have repaired the power supply from dead. Otherwise the box is working fine and I can't pinpoint what or when this may have happened, but I don't think it was AFTER replacing the caps. Maybe before. Anyhow, is this a known problem, a bad display perhaps? Or do I have a resistor somewhere that needs replacing now.

Thanks in advance!

Sp0iler
01-26-2013, 10:49 AM
C/P
What you need is to replace the VFD (Vacuum Flourescent Dispaly), they will burn out on you in time. I did replaced 3 of them on my sonicviews hd 8000. I think it took me about 20-30 min to replace one. I do keep the level of brightness at 2 instead of 7 that way you can prolong the life of the VFD. They were one time available at fleabay for about $12.95usd but I haven't seen one for sale in a while now. I bought spare vfd when they were still available.
End C/P

Hope that gives you an idea.
Good luck,
Sp0iler

DocZong
01-30-2013, 12:11 AM
That makes sense. I figured it would be the whole display.

Thanks a bunch!

Mike

pinballpuk
04-02-2013, 12:20 PM
C/P
What you need is to replace the VFD (Vacuum Flourescent Dispaly), they will burn out on you in time. I did replaced 3 of them on my sonicviews hd 8000. I think it took me about 20-30 min to replace one. I do keep the level of brightness at 2 instead of 7 that way you can prolong the life of the VFD. They were one time available at fleabay for about $12.95usd but I haven't seen one for sale in a while now. I bought spare vfd when they were still available.
End C/P

Hope that gives you an idea.
Good luck,
Sp0iler

Hello Sp0iler,

Would you have the manufacturer and the part number of the VFD?

I'm trying to get one for my receiver.

Thanks,

kalina
04-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Mine is the same thing but it is berely visible even in the dark :( I'm looking for a VFD but have not found one yet :bawl:

StanW
04-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Can you guys read the mfg name/part number of the VFD ?

x2006nzl
04-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Here's what the seller told me:
"I do not have any for sale. When I did have them I purchased them from China. Had to purchase 100 at a time.
There is no model number on it. I sent them pictures and they sold me the readouts.
See the attachment. That is all I have to send to you."
If anyone finds/orders any please pm me as i'm interested in a few thanks