PDA

View Full Version : ihub unusual problem, need advice pls

ftastudent2
12-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Several months ago menu, installation did not show setting menu for dongle. Since then I have done a lot of reading to no avail.

Bootloader 2.07, Main software HD20E (fixed version), front software VA-12. Wiz identifies dongle software as version 4.12, Dongle responds to ping no packet loss. Both green and blinkng amber lights on dongle.
Other than what is listed above there are no other symtoms. I have reinstalled software from factory default and both factory software files including sysclean software which is similiar to factory 1.01 serveral times.
I have read many posts that are similar but none that have the same symtoms as mine. Since new it has had two fans installed and has always run cool so heat should never have been an issue.

Questions
1) If the dongle respond to pings and has both led's lit does this indicate B19 (+5dvc) is ok and therefore serial poart should be functional or should I take the board off the top and measure B19?
2) Does front software VA-12 indicate version one SV8000? Other post have B,,,,.

Update to above.
I put a meter both sides of B19 read 5vdc.

Another update
Took 2 hours of search but I finally found my null modem cable in a box with an old scope I'd forgotten about. Hooked the cable up to my laptop and loaded a diiferent bin from what was in the SV, it took ok. So serial port is OK. Dongle responds to pings but no network setup in menu?
I'm stumped. Ideas please.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Sp0iler
12-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Do you see the "Adapter Connected" message at start up ? I doubt it.
Do you show a mac addy in Wiz when you search for the dongle ?
If the dongle is not seen by the box at start up, "Network settings" will not show in your menu.
If your plugged into your lan port on your computer, your only pinging the port and not the dongle itself. Unplug the dongle and see if you can't still get a good ping response if your using the lan port.
Is there another box to test the dongle on ?
Get "Hyperterminal" and set yourself up a communication test.
If your getting a positive response from a Wiz search with a good Mac addy showing, the dongle is most likely working well.
Use Wiz and upload the Svlan 43 file to the dongle. Have the current file loaded in your box and reboot the box. Look for the "Updating message" a few seconds after start up.
Post what you find out.

ftastudent2
12-25-2012, 12:42 AM
Do you see the "Adapter Connected" message at start up ? I doubt it.
Do you show a mac addy in Wiz when you search for the dongle ?
If the dongle is not seen by the box at start up, "Network settings" will not show in your menu.
If your plugged into your lan port on your computer, your only pinging the port and not the dongle itself. Unplug the dongle and see if you can't still get a good ping response if your using the lan port.
Is there another box to test the dongle on ?
Get "Hyperterminal" and set yourself up a communication test.
If your getting a positive response from a Wiz search with a good Mac addy showing, the dongle is most likely working well.
Use Wiz and upload the Svlan 43 file to the dongle. Have the current file loaded in your box and reboot the box. Look for the "Updating message" a few seconds after start up.
Post what you find out.

No adapter connect message at start up as you suspected. Not sure what you mean by a mac addy but see mac number and is correct, also current dongle version number 4.12 . Ping was done with dongle installed and cabled to my network with RJ45. Have used null modem to change bins, port is good. No other box. Current dongle bin is 4.12, a working version by all reports. At this point prefer loading with null modem cable, what is 43 file? Will search for hyperterminal but loading bins and roms indicate port is ok.

Just checked hyperterminal is a windows program and I use redhat? Will set up a wincrows os but will take some time. Thanks for your help. Back soon as I can.

ftastudent2
12-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Can use RS232 port succesfully with SV downloader and Hyperterminal. Without dongle attached Wiz sees nothing, with dongle attached Wiz shows Ver 4.12 and mac number upper left. Upper right shows not connected, both ver and not connected are light in colour, sorta greyish, don't know if that is normal or not. Uploading from Wiz to Dongle fails so I cannot provide dongle with Svlan 43. Don't think that would matter anyways as all post I have read call for ver 4.12 which is what I have. With dongle attached ping to address is replied to as is proper, with Dongle not attached ping to same address ping fails. My network is all static as I need to have specific devices attached to know addresses, Server, printers, accounting machine, etc. Dongle is x.x.x.109 as orginally setup a few years ago. I have pinged dongle from serveral machines on my Lan and in each case dongle responds. Looks like a new type or at least undocument dongle failure. What do you think?

Sp0iler
12-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Sounds like your dongle is working well.Version 4.12 is correct.
Unhook the dongle and set it aside for now.
Force load the factory bin.
Load the system clean file a few times the normal way and then the current file.
Reconnect the dongle and see if the box will find it now.
It sounds like the hardware is all working correctly...
Lets hope for a software corruption someplace.
Let us know how it goes.

ftastudent2
12-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Sounds like your dongle is working well.Version 4.12 is correct.
Unhook the dongle and set it aside for now.
Force load the factory bin.
Load the system clean file a few times the normal way and then the current file.
Reconnect the dongle and see if the box will find it now.
It sounds like the hardware is all working correctly...
Lets hope for a software corruption someplace.
Let us know how it goes.

I have done this with 3 different files and each was loaded from a cold boot holding menu. Each files was loaded 3+ times before loading HD 20E which was also loaded the same way. Used 2 different factory files and also sysclean. Tried above with dongle attached and removed. No joy. I think the dongle is not entirely home. I will give it one more try and will follow your advice to the letter. Force load factory file 1.01 then without reboot use menu to load sysclean 3 or 4 times and then HD 20E the same way.
ps Thanks for all your help.

junior1
12-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Can you post screen shots of your wiznet after using the search button. There should be 3 pages in your wiznet program that you can post. This way we can compare them with ours. BTW, it's best to use DHCP for your hub.

Sp0iler
12-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Here are mine and Ill bet yours look just a like.
I feel like the dongle is working well and the issue lies somewhere within the box.

Try loading a much older Ihub file that shows "Ip config" in the menu.From there, see if you can get a response from the dongle as in... does it show the ips when you searched using the ip config menu. If it did, then the dongle is responding to request for info. If nothing comes and it goes back to the menu, the issue might be in the dongle.

junior1
12-26-2012, 06:56 PM
SpOiler, why does one of your show version 2.1 and the other 4.12? My 2nd and third pages both show version 4.12. I wanted him to post these 2 pages plus the first page in case he had any corrupted info, like a password issue.

Sp0iler
12-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Im working on it.Had an issue with pic 3.
The version doesn't matter really as long as his shows 4.12. The pic is of an older screen shot but holds all the important info.
Here is my pic number 3.

I'm also set to static, as I maintain my own network and ips.

:)

junior1
12-26-2012, 07:15 PM
You say your using Static yet your hub shows DHCP. Let's wait for ftastudent2 to post his screen shots and see what they look like.

Terryl
12-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Not knowing about the dongle thingy, but knowing how an RS-232 port works, I see the the data speed is set to 115200, now that is as fast as the standard RS-232 port can go, but most receivers dont use the max speed, the run around 9600 or so, and most of the time you are connecting this RS-232 port on the receiver to a PC or laptop with an "Auto sensing" speed program running on it for the comm ports.

So the big question is "what is the "default" RS-232 port speed for this dongle when connected to the SV8K?

Also the data protocol needs to match, is it 8 bit with 1 stop bit, or 7 bit with 1 stop bit?

Those with this setup need to reply to what the defaults are for the dongle RS-232 data speed and protocol's to the receiver are.

If these are not set right it won't work.

junior1
12-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Those settings in mine and SpOiler screen shots are the default settings. When the iHubs first came out we were told not to change any of these settings. I still have the original set up manual that told us how to set up the iHub and what settings we should use. In the first page of ours you can see where I have the ports we were to use but those now don't really mean anything.

Sp0iler
12-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Not knowing about the dongle thingy, but knowing how an RS-232 port works, I see the the data speed is set to 115200, now that is as fast as the standard RS-232 port can go, but most receivers dont use the max speed, the run around 9600 or so, and most of the time you are connecting this RS-232 port on the receiver to a PC or laptop with an "Auto sensing" speed program running on it for the comm ports.

So the big question is "what is the "default" RS-232 port speed for this dongle when connected to the SV8K?

Also the data protocol needs to match, is it 8 bit with 1 stop bit, or 7 bit with 1 stop bit?

Those with this setup need to reply to what the defaults are for the dongle RS-232 data speed and protocol's to the receiver are.

If there not set correctly, the program gives a general "invalid parameter" error message. Default speed for the rs232 port is 56000. Any will work as the transfer is slow anyway.
The screen shots I showed were of some older Wiz shots.. hence the difference in Version.The rest of the info is all valid.
For what it's worth, the default port for communicating with the dongle is 5000.At Version 4.12 the port has been changed to 8429 with the svlan file.

ftastudent2
05-21-2013, 01:45 AM

I have been out of touch on this for a while. Sorry. Terryl is correct on port speeds but unless dongle changed it,s speed itself it is correct and I am not sure how to take and insert screen shots of WIZnet into a post but mine is like above right done to version, ports, speed and protocall (stop bit) . Just read the last post above this one. Port change. I'll check next time I have this SV out for this changed port.

It's Jafo
05-21-2013, 11:47 AM
The info is old....
You won't find any info from Wiz regarding true ports.
The way to find out is with a working hub, you'll need to either go into the network through dos to see what the port is or you can go into your router settings and observe the connecting port there.
With that said, we now assign our own ports in the "Network settings" menu.
Wiz will show either nothing at all for ports or 1920. Either of which is wrong if you set up in the Network settings menu.
As for the rs-232 port speed.... SV will work just fine regardless of what transfer speed is entered.Any at all will work.

ftastudent2
05-21-2013, 05:08 PM
The info is old....
You won't find any info from Wiz regarding true ports.
The way to find out is with a working hub, you'll need to either go into the network through dos to see what the port is or you can go into your router settings and observe the connecting port there.
With that said, we now assign our own ports in the "Network settings" menu.
Wiz will show either nothing at all for ports or 1920. Either of which is wrong if you set up in the Network settings menu.
As for the rs-232 port speed.... SV will work just fine regardless of what transfer speed is entered.Any at all will work.

Yes it is working that way otherwise the dongle would not give it,s nic to WIZhub. But this does not explain why with proper voltage to the dongle and the dongle obviously providing it,s nic why it does not show up in install menu on S V. Original port was 1920. I changed WIZnet to use 1849 and pressed settings to save to WIZnet. When I remove dongle and run WIZnet it comes up with empty fields including nic. When I do same with dongle plugged in it shows nic, ip, port 1849, protocol etc. I can set this to any port I want and get the same results. WIZnet is getting this from the dongle but even though the network settings tab is not displayed in the SV. It does not connect on boot to the SV but does connect to my network.

It's Jafo
05-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Part of the file loaded to the box now over rides and controls the dongles connection.
Note in Wiz, you get nothing for an ip to connect to or the ip might read "Dummy".
The box now directs the connection to the ip you entered and the port you entered in the "network settings" menu.
If the dongle is not seen by the box or on the network, "Network settings" will not show in the menu and the "Adapter Connected" message will not show.
If your set to "Dhcp" in Wiz and you reboot the dongle, you will loose any info you entered as the router will repopulate it for you with generic ip's.
What matters at this point is what is the version showing in wiz for the dongle ? You should be at 4.12 .
If not... see this :http://www.satfix.net/showthread.php?119735-Easy-I-hub-upgrade-and-V82-fix
I would also load the system clean file and then the factory bin followed by the current file and start over with a clean box.

Added: I understand you have power to the donlge and you can change things in Wiz but it doesn't appear your on the network as you mentioned nothing popultes on the reboot.If you were being seen on the network and set to dhcp, you would have ip's.

skywalker999
05-21-2013, 11:06 PM
have you tried a different db9 cable you never know it could be as simple as that