PDA

View Full Version : SV8000HD Bad USB Port? - "No Device Connected"

chachu
10-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Hi

I need help in finding what is the problem with the usb port on SV 8K. It is not recognizing the usb drive (self powered) or usb flash drive connected.

Is it the port? or power supply issue? How can I check? If replacement port is need where to get it? :noidea:

thanks

reels
10-16-2012, 10:00 PM
I once had a problem with it recognizing a high capacity flash drive (16 GB) but would recognize a lower capacity F drive (1GB).
Hope that may help.

chachu
10-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks reels and Noof for the suggestions.

I once had a problem with it recognizing a high capacity flash drive (16 GB) but would recognize a lower capacity F drive (1GB).
Hope that may help.

Did the port work previously?As mentioned above, try a small capacity (2 gb or less) thumb drive.You can try to formaty it FAT32 with your computer as well.Outside of that,the i.c.'s that drive the usb port can fail as well.You can buy them on fleabay as a kit.Try alternate thumb drives first.

The port has been working for more than 3 years.

The smaller capacity (2GB) thumb drive is also not recognized.

What I've noticed is that it works intermittently. Sometimes it recognizes the USB (thumb and external HD) and at other times it won't no matter what I try.

Not sure what is causing this, a bad connection, bad USB board, Power supply of IC?

Chachu

chachu
10-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Check this out...
hxxp://www.ebay.ca/itm/SONICVIEW-8000HD-USB-NOT-WORKING-SET-2-ICs-U-43-AND-U-45-/250957451113?pt=US_Satellite_Signal_Multiswitches&hash=item3a6e3acf69

Thanks Noof

i bought the item, now to wait for the delivery.

Still not sure though if it'll solve the problem as can't say for sure what is causing the issue.

Thanks again

Cahchu

ramrod
10-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Hi

I need help in finding what is the problem with the usb port on SV 8K. It is not recognizing the usb drive (self powered) or usb flash drive connected.

Is it the port? or power supply issue? How can I check? If replacement port is need where to get it? :noidea:

thanks

Have you tried booting the box with a drive already inserted?

Terryl
10-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks Noof

Still not sure though if it'll solve the problem as can't say for sure what is causing the issue.

Thanks again

Cahchu

A word of warning:

If you have never removed and replaced a surface mount IC chip before then don't try it, you could damage the unit's motherboard beyond repair, someone who has done this before should do the work.

It is not as easy as it may look to be.

Terryl
10-17-2012, 04:22 PM
It would be best to use a USB port tester first, this will tell you if the port/IC chip is truly bad or is it a connection problem that can be fixed by using some NON residue electrical contact cleaner first.

Look here for a USB port tester.

http://www.cablesonline.com/usbdainusb.html

And that one may be out of stock, so look at this one also.

http://usbcheck.net/Home.php

VJ9A
10-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks Noof

Thanks again

Cahchu

Sorry, I'm a bit late. If all else fails and you end up needing a new USB board I have one.
I have seen this issue quite a few times and it has been mainly because of 3 reasons not in any order.
Power Supply low voltage on rail
Bad USB board
Dirty USB contacts (usually smoke)
The surface mount chips have been covered thoroughly and some great advice posted.
Hope all goes well.

chachu
10-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks all,

I'm waiting on the usb port tester to be delivered from usbcheck.net. Will keep you all posted as I trouble shoot this.

In the mean while how can I test the voltage on rail (not sure this can be issue though because I'm using self powered USB hard drive)

Chachu

SammyJ
10-27-2012, 04:28 AM
I'm a little late on this. I have this problem from time to time. What I would do is go to menu and select USB and then select "Scan USB Storage". I let it sit for about 15-20 minutes and then it would recognize the HDD. Hope it woks for you.